• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Click... boom... redemption!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Baron

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Got a nice invite from a good friend for this morning. Have no idea how, but I woke up on my own at 2:58am and was able to shut off the 3:00am alarm before it bothered the wife. Felt like the middle of the night (because it was!), but we had an hour drive to the property.

Got to the spot and set-up along the divide between two fields. We put out one hen decoy and a full strut tom decoy. We debated as to whether we should use the full strut deke, but decided we were after a boss tom if possible and to go ahead and deploy the challenger. We were sitting in about a 10ft. wide brush/tree line with an old bean field behind and facing on old corn field. We heard a few gobbles from the wood lot behind us. My buddy knew the spot and knew the birds usually roosted in those woods (off-property). He figured we had a 50/50 shot - if the birds rolled out to the east, we were done. If they came west, they'd most likely pass through our field via one of three spots through our fence row.

There was only one bird gobbling, and when he hit the ground he got a little quiet. We figured he was with his hens. We did some nice soft calls now and then and he honored us with a few gobbles here and there. Eventually, we spotted the flock heading our way across the bean field. I could only see them by turning my head hard to the right and looking behind. It was quite a flock - at least 9 hens, 3 jakes and one strutter. The birds meandered our way. I heard some leaves crunching and 2 hens walked to within 5 feet behind us. We never moved, and they eventually wandered back to the flock which was now about 10 yards directly behind us. We could hear the tom dragging his wings while he strutted - very cool. I might have been able to turn and kill him, but that field is off property and so we stayed still and let the plan work. Then a hen stepped through the tree line about 10 yards to my right. I expected the tom might follow and I was ready, but the main group moved down the bean field and eventually started coming into our field about 100 yards to our left. I carefully repositioned my gun to cover to the left and and hoped for the best (calling a tom away from 9+ hens is usually an impossibility). I saw about 10 birds had walked into the field, and then my partner whispered "here he comes!". I figured that meant the strutter was now in our field, but when I turned my eyes that way I saw he was coming on a dead run - beard swingin'! :thumbsup: He paused at 50 yards and strutted for a second, then slicked down and kept coming. He stopped right at my 20 yard stick. I was ready and I guarantee I was aiming VERY carefully as a bead of sweat formed on my brow (I missed one last Monday). I made the final adjustment of my shoulder to shoot, and he saw that and putted, stuck his head up... and then caught 1 1/8oz. #6's from from the Caywood.:HP: There was a lot of back-slapping and celebration of a successful end to an exciting morning.

Tom was down at about 6:30am. Not a monster, but he was definitely the boss of the flock... 19lbs, 1" spurs and 9 1/2" beard. Always great to share a hunt with a good friend, and it's all the more sweet to be tagged out for the 3rd out of 3 seasons with my flinter. :grin: Now we are planning to slip down to NY for a little bonus gobbler action - and I'll be taking my smoothie. :wink:

08-5-1102.jpg

Spurs weren't as visible as I'd thought, but a good close-up of the flintlock action for anyone who's interested.
08-5-1105.jpg

Congradulations on ANOTHER big bird.
The smile in the picture is the 1000 words

It was great chatting with you the other night on the phone. I am sure we will be doing some hunting together, Coyote, Deer, Squirrel, Turkey.
Some kind of hunting/trekking adventure. We'll get something going. Until then soak up the moment.

Pat Cameron

Congrats! :thumbsup:
Makes ya' feel real good when you succeed in getting a tom away from a group of hens, doesn't it?
Where you going to hunt in NY?

Good shot. At least someone is getting a bird. That is a nice smoothbore. Just curious,how is the weather in your neck of the woods? We've had rain, cold and then some heat with back to rain and cold.

PJC said:
It was great chatting with you the other night on the phone.

Likewise Pat! We have strikingly similar interests - high precision small bore CF's, predator calling and flintlocks. An odd combination indeed, so we must have been dropped on the same part of our heads as children. :haha: We will definitely get together for some adventures.

bigbore442001 said:
Just curious,how is the weather in your neck of the woods? We've had rain, cold and then some heat with back to rain and cold.

bigbore... weather here was unseasonably warm and many consecutive days of sun up to the opener on the 25th. Opener and Saturday were good, then we had a big rain blow in on the 28th and cold behind it and the birds shut right down for about a week. Also had 3 days' rain May 1st (including sleet and a brief snow fall!), 2nd and 3rd. Lone toms would look toward a call and keep walking the other way. :shake: It stayed cool to about the 6th but has started to warm up a little just recently. We've had some days of rain forecast, but the rain either never came or was only very light/brief. Forecast now is for warm and sunny for several days coming. I think the best turkey hunting (around here, at least) is about to start. I sorta rerget being tagged out. And by sorta, I mean not at all. :rotf:

Congrats.And thanks for takeing the time to tell the story and share your photos. :thumbsup:

Back