• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

climbing stand mishap

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This weekend one of the fellas I hunt with likes to use a climbing stand. We were hunting about 300 yards apart and I heard him calling for help. When I got to where he was hunting I found him hanging upside down about 20 feet up a pine tree. The bolt somehow slipped out of the upper part of the stand and dumped him over backwards. The only thing that kept him from falling was his feet caught in the straps on the lower part of the stand. It took 3 guys to get him down and he had a broken ankle.

He was lucky it was only an ankle. Glad for him it wasn't worse.

A friend of mine had just climbed into his fixed stand and was about to hook his safety harness when the stand broke and he went down 25 feet. I was about 300 yards away too, and heard a little scream, a thud, and gurgling. Scared me to death. Came down my tree like a fireman down a fire-house pole. When I got over to him he was just coming around from being knocked out. Fortunately, nothing broken. Just a gash in his leg where it caught a tree step on the way down.

The older I get, the more I like ladder stands...or good ol' terra firma.

Lucky guy that's all that happened and you were within ear shot.

When I hit 60 I sold all my climbers and Loc-Ons...switched to natural ground blinds, and 1 real strong ladder stand that I connect to a tree with 2 ropes, a ladder tree bar, 3 ratchet straps, and a steel anti-theft cable...only way it'll come down is if the whole tree comes down.

I'm glad to hear the ankle is all that was broken. He is a very lucky man that he didn't take the full plunge,from 20 feet & backwards it would not have been good. Was this a factory made or homemade stand? Glad you Guys were there to help the Guy as well. :thumbsup:

I have never understood why anyone would use a tree stand. I have taken lots of all kinds of game in my life and never in a tree stand. On the other hand I have heard all kinds of stories of injuries from using them. A neighbor of mine several years ago lost a leg to one that ended his hunting forever and just a few years ago one of the most respected officers of our local F&W assoc. lost his life to one. FOR SAFETY----- DON'T CLIMB

There is a "safe" way to set up and climb up into a tree stand..the same goes for when Using a climbing tree stand. I use a nice safety harness while in any stand. In this area ( Ohio) tree stands are used often and as long as the appropriate measures are taken they are VERY safe.One of our teaching mottos is " SAEFTY= COMMON SENSE" If you would like I can send you a video on " tree stand safety"..I teach it in every one of my ODNR Hunters Ed. classes.

Smo it was a factory made stand that uses a cable to go around the tree. I don't trust one made that way. I also occasionaly use a climber but mine uses a blade. I also use a safety strap just to be safe. He was lucky not to have been by himself. When he turned over backwards he dropped his rifle and his cell phone. He is lucky he wasnt killed.

I'm not a big fan of those "STRAP" type climbers either. I have an API grand slam..it has a rubber coated chain and works well. I also use a short rope to connect both sections together..in the event of the platform falling, the rope will not let it fall far.
I also keep my phone in a zipped up pocket and a short rope in another pocket that I can use as a "step" in the event of a fall.
I had a close call one time...and after that I am now EXTRA careful.

Last edited by a moderator:
sidelock said:
I have never understood why anyone would use a tree stand.
The many, many advantages of hunting from any elevated stand are pretty obvious and have been used for centuries...Google would hook you up with more articles and explanations than you'd ever read.
FOR SAFETY----- DON'T CLIMB
An inordinate level of fear comes from a lack of understanding and knowledge...to get it under control one needs to learn about the equipment, utilize proper planning, and take proper precautions.
Indeed, using firearms themselves are far, far more dangerous and cause far, far more injuries and deaths than any tree stand ever has / ever will.

I always use a safety harness and any type of stand be it a lock-on/portable style or a climber I always add a secondary backup ratchet strap for security. I know it shouldn't be needed but I like my stand to be firm and not move at all. I am a big guy around 230 at 6'6" and sometimes when you stand up the stand will shift a touch but with the ratchet straps one on the top and one on the bottom, added to the factory locking system makes it sturdy as all get out. It really works well with a climber because my big ole butt can get stuck if i need to stand to get a shot and I have had the top half the seat come up with me and it broke loose from the tree, I wasn't endanger of falling but it was just an odd feeling. After that I spend an extra 3-4 minutes and add a ratchet strap quickly to the stand and not issues and I feel safe sitting there all day. Just a added safety thought.

As a young kid, I could not understand why the old timers didn't want to crawl up into any of my deer stands when we did drives? Now that I am that age, I'm liking ladder stands way better and box gun stands even best. There is something nice about being in a nice box stand sitting on a good chair. I am sure D. Boone would have enjoyed it too! Comfort is great when ur old.

Just turning 59 and have sold all my tree stands. taken many deer from them but old bones don't mend fast so I took a farm wagon and made a elevated platform stand on it and a nice comfortable chair. :haha: Pappy

pappy237 said:
Just turning 59 and have sold all my tree stands. taken many deer from them but old bones don't mend fast so I took a farm wagon and made a elevated platform stand on it and a nice comfortable chair. :haha: Pappy
Amen...and another benefit about a strong, heavy duty, safe ladder stand is being 15-16' above the line of fire in case some yahoo gets lost onto the property or is plain trespassing. I feel a little naked walking in before good light but once I'm up there, I feel completely safe.

LadderStandPic2CroppedDarkened.jpg

Thanks BB. I'm a blade man myself, but haven't been in my climber in the past two seasons. I'm leaning toward ladder stands and built my first shooting house this year. I have it out a long point watching a hollow & 4 other ridges feeding into the hollow.It's way to far to shoot with my muzzleloader in most cases, but it gives me a good veiw of what's going on. I hope your hunting buddy has a speedy recovery.

When will hunters learn to use a safety harness???

If he had been strapped in, it would have scared the stuff out of him but he would have never been hanging up their backwards...

I use climbers quite a lot, some of the areas I hunt, you can't see very far on the ground...I always have my safety belt attached to the tree as soon as I step into the climber...

Heck, chainsaws, cars, jetskis, guns and hammers are all dangerous...If you don't know what you are doing, leave it alone or get training...

I can't imagine, not having tree stands available to me. Though I do hunt from the ground, I do love a good tree stand. BUT, it is so important to keep your thoughts on safety. Way too many people fall from them a year. Way to many tree standers also have spine injuries that will have you doing nothing for the rest of your life as well. I certainly hope to never get hurt in a tree stand incident, but I sure think all the time about safety when I am in them. Not scared of them, but very aware of the dangers and I respect them for it.

Back