• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

climbing stand mishap

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A Life line is what I use now on my ladder stand. The stand is 21' to the seat and with frost/ice sometimes on the rungs it's just an extra safety factor. I use the life line sold in most major sporting goods store they run around 35 bucks.A small price to pay to be able to come home instead of going the hospital and rehab for the next few weeks if you're one of the lucky ones who live through it all. :shake: :slap:

I have reached the point where I don't feel comfortable getting off the ground in a treestand of any kind anymore. There is a real danger of having an issue and it's even more pronounced if a person hunts alone a great deal like I do.

Hunting deer from an elevated position does have it's advantages though.

I got careless on my harness hook-up about 28 years ago and did a partial back flip out of a tree from about 12 ft up. I broke my back and wrist but the worst part was getting myself out of the woods, I was 40 miles from home and nobody knew where I was at. At first I was passing out from the pain, later I was dry heaving with every few steps as I covered quarter mile distance back to my truck. The dry heaving made my back feel like it was exploding.

I am off to the gym in a few minutes to do the necessary exercises and weight work to keep me pain free and moving. I have been battling the results from my lapse of judgment ever since I fell.

Needless to say, I never climb a tree now without a quality restraint harness hooked up as soon as I leave the ground.

Back