• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Close, but no cigar!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patocazador

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I went to a muzzleloading limited draw hunt (only 10 permits) last Friday and I only could make it about 200 yards from the parking area due to a knee problem. I sat on the ground and made a semi-blind by sticking palmettos in the ground around me.
About 2 hours later a doe and fawn walked up straight towards me before going into the thick stuff 25 yards in front of me. They didn't spot me so I thought I was OK.
40 minutes later a real nice 8 point (for Florida) came jogging from my left and due to being screened by a bunch of thick trees I didn't spot him until he was 15 yards in front of me. Startled by the sudden appearance, I raised my gun and he spotted the movement immediately and wheeled around and stopped for less than a second behind the thick trees. He then just ran straight away through the woods. I never had a chance to shoot. He would have been the biggest deer I've ever shot in Florida but it wasn't to be. I figured he would have grossed about 100 B&C points, not huge but much bigger than the public land bucks I have seen.

Oh well...... :idunno:

Later a doe moved through, jumping and twitching her tail constantly with another deer in the background which I couldn't make out. There weren't any bugs biting so I figured she was in heat.
A front moved through and I didn't see another deer through today. Feast or famine seems to be the rule.

I'd have been happy with that hunt, all too often I spend hours sitting without a sighting at all. Good experience.

Britsmoothy said:
Well your heart got to go thumpin' I bet!

B :thumbsup:

A thumpin' heart may not be the best thing for someone my age. :hmm: .... of course, it's better than one that doesn't thump at all. :shocked2:

I have sat all day from dawn to dark and not seen anything even a bird.

Good luck on your hunt.

Back