• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CO elk hunt ?'s

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mnbearbaiter

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Well a bud and I applied for the GMU that has our favorite backcountry honeyhole in it. We have actually 1pt more than we need so we are solidly confident. Just a few things I was wondering if I could get some advice and such on. First off this is a backpack hunt. We will go in about 6mi via trail and another 1/2-3/4mi up and over into a secluded drainage where we've never seen a soul during archery or rifle season but always elk...and some good ones. I'll be using my 54cal Leman, I'll load it night before season and with the use of a nipple cover I shouldn't have to worry about reloading unless there's decent rain...I think??? 95gr ffg T7/.015 totw mink oil lubed patch/.530 ball. Should be enough I hope? I guess any advice on the hunt which is Sept 10-18, back country gun care in a minimalist environment, etc is all I'm fishing for? I plan to "cheat" a lil and forego powder horn, and possjbles bag in lieu of plastic fantastic speed loaders and I'll pack just the essentials for loading/cleaning.

I may go to Co this year smokepole for Elk. I should have enough points. Not to dishearten you but the points needed go up fast every year. Not sure for my self. The hunt sounds good one thing is I would use real black. 777 is ok but real black would be more forgiving if loaded for a week. Maybe use a ball dis charger and reload 3 or four days in. It would make me feel better with 777. Sure wouldn't want to fire to unload it. Good luck with the draw. :)

Larry

Sounds like you're pretty much on track. I'd sure be hesitant to camp in the same drainage you're hunting though. Better a half mile walk before and after each day's hunt than elk wandering into your camp in the middle of the night.

My brother and I backpacked 14 miles into the Hellroaring wilderness north of Yellowstone. After setting up camp, we vowed not to kill anything that we couldn't pack out with us. No one would rent us horses ahead of time so we'd be able to pack out an elk and/or deer.

I killed a bear and we packed it out on our backs but it wasn't easy.

Think about getting the game out before it's laying on the ground.

We've packed two elk and two mule deer bucks out of this same area we are hunting this year. We camp a good ways away...probably a 1/4mi since its closest water we've found that elk dont use as much as the primary drainage. Ive left my leman loaded with same load I'm gonna use in CO for over 3wks before firing and the buck I shot couldn't tell it was loaded for that long

Take a decent amount of gun oil and give it a good coat of grease before you go. Amazing how much rust can accumulate in a damp night, let alone rain. Make sure you take a photo or two for us to drool over!

Have hunted elk quite a few times and really should have started when I was younger....but because I jogged 6 miles every night until I was 71, the 10,000-11,000 ft elevation wasn't a hindrance.

We've shot a few elk and always did our own packing out, but not more than 2 miles and learned a few things to lighten the loads and to expedite getting the meat to camp.

A couple of days before opening day, a "butcher pack" is taken up to the hunt area and this pack contains everything necessary to cut up the meat and to pack it out..... a Coleman lantern, sharpening sticks, all the knives, pack frames, cheese cloth games bags and a lot more. Eliminates an unnecessary trip back to camp.

To lighten the loads, as little bone as possible is packed....learned our lesson after one bull elk. But, no meat is wasted seeing even the "sausage meat" is taken and my son loves to eat the neck.

No longer go w/ my son and buddies but do think of them often when they're out there traipsing around the Rockies.....good luck on the draws....Fred

I would pass on the 777 as well and use real black powder. 777 failed me on a hunt with a caplock and cost me a nice bull on a Washington hunt. I had the herd bull standing 30 yards broadside in the open and I had a fence post for a solid rest. All I heard was the cap go off. :cursing: It took me 3 caps to get it to go off and by then it was too late. I had been changing the load daily. Tough lesson and have used nothing but the real stuff since.

Dave

Everything is much appreciated. We usually pack in with 55lb packs. Eat dehydrated everything, shelter/pad/bag only weigh 4-5lbs, I do a good coat of Obenaufs boot dressing on my gun about a week before I leave and it forms a sort of tacky finish on gun and hinders rust well. I've never had an issue with T7 using #11 mag caps and hotshot nipples that are always new not blown up from a lot of shots when hunting and have yet to have a fail. I take in one lightweight fixed blade knife with a diamond sharpener for touch up, 5 game bags, and we do debone fully.

You probably have the luxury of smaller and fewer bears, but there are lots of other kritters who like elk meat besides you.

Dunno if it's necessary or worth the effort where you are, but we always go prepared to hoist meat well up into trees. Lost too much elk meat to my namesake to do otherwise. In your boots I'd add some line to the pack list so you can hoist those meat bags. We debone, bag and hoist all meat before taking the first step back toward camp after a successful harvest.

We do one other thing in light of our very short days during elk season and rough terrain. We always carry ingredients for a spike camp. That lets us spike it halfway between the kill and camp on especially long packs or near the kill site on shorter packs. The extra camp usually allows us to get in an extra pack or two per day.

Just offering fine-tuning thoughts to your already smart setup.

I agree with those that said to ditch the 777 for real black powder. The ignition temperature of 777 is almost double that of black. If you are concerned about damp weather, go to your local auto parts store and buy a package of assorted vacuum port seals and use one that fits tight on the nipple. They look like miniature rubber cups, or the raw end protectors for wire shelves. Keep yer powder dry, literly.......robin :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the one good thing is rifle will always be outside. No wall tent or even an enclosed space to collect dew for my camp. I tape muzzle and use the October Country nipple cover religiously when I hunt. I modified my Hotshot nipples to carry the O ring that the cover slides over to seal out moisture. I always pack double the amount of paracord that I think I'll need. Usually bring 100'.

Yep -- exactly what I did on my Washington hunt. Tape on the muzzle, nipple cover, new nipple and it stayed outside. Never inside and I still had a fail to fire with 777.

Dave

Darn it...busting my balls here :surrender: I guess I've always had great luck with how I load and care for my loader and have never had a fail??? I run a alcohol swab down bore, store barrel down for plenty of time, then install nipple, pop a cap, load about half charge of powder, lean rifle towards drum side and give opposite side of rifle a couple smacks to drive powder towards drum, then pour rest of powder down bore and give whole rifle a short drop or two onto top of my boot. Then its a dry op felt bore button, .015 heavy lubed cotton patch/.530 ball seated quite firmly. Seal bore with tape, recap nipple and place nipple cover over nipple. Had gun go off in below zero temps here in MN in Dec. Wouldn't ignition be harder in cold weather then at elevation? I really have it in my head to reload every other day for piece of mind after this thread!!!!

September weather in CO is usually mild.to where condensation wouldn't be factor, especially in scenario of a bivy style hunt where tent will be open ended/tarp basically. 40deg area at night and maybe 70-80deg during day. Certain ky would have to reload after any rain.

Not trying to bust anything. :confused: You asked for input and I gave you my experience and opinion. I shot that gun for 6 months before we went on the hunt. Never had a fail to fire. I am not careless and plan out everything and practice and practice. I have had 777 and Pyrodex fail me and will never touch either again. I'll stop here. Good luck. :surrender:

Dave

I'm such a fuss budget about reliability, I change out the load every night, even on deer hunts. Period. Even with real black.

We're in a wet climate, sure. But I figure the cost of "wasting" a load every night isn't going to break my bank, and there must be a reason Santa's elves invented those little CO2 discharge thingeroos. :grin:

Well I'm gonna be making a trip to Track of the Wolf here this summer. Guess I'll have to purchase a couple pounds of Goex :hatsoff:

Back