• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

co2 dischargers do they work?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tg said:
"...I think that this would likely be an exageration or a very inexperienced shooter, the CO2 gadgets are fine if you want to use them but a ball can be safely and quickly removed with the proper puller rod setup..."
I'm very lucky...it takes me less time to pull a patched ball than it does to unscrew the jag, find the puller attachment, and screw it on the ramrod.

Hunting season will start in earnest for me Nov 3rd, I'll go hunting 40-50 mornings and afternoons through Nov, Dec, Jan...I pull the ball when I get back to the house every time...lay the rifle on a carpeted workbench, screw in the puller, and slide it out...been doing that for a few years now...hope I didn't just jinx myself

In my experience, more folks have problem using the TC style:
[url] https://store.scottsbt.com/7076-TC-Magnum-Silent-Ball-Discharger-P352C54.aspx[/url]

as opposed to this style:
[url] http://www.cabelas.com/link-12/product/0006480214461a.shtml[/url]

The Cabela's style gives you more control (on rifles and single shot pistols), IMHO. A friend of mine with a TC said the TC dischargers had a pesky problem with the O-rings that would allow discharge the entire cylinder whether you wanted it or not. TC may have remedied that, I don't know.

All I know is that during trail walks I have loaned my Cabela's style discharger to two or three different people with TC dischargers would couldn't get them to work properly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Old40Rod said:
In my experience, more folks have problem using the TC style. A friend of mine with a TC said the TC dischargers had a pesky problem with the O-rings that would allow discharge the entire cylinder whether you wanted it or not. TC may have remedied that, I don't know.
TC's did indeed have that problem...and their remedy was to drop it from their catalog
:grin:

Mine has become the club's "go to" tool...so often used that I've told the club it has to buy me the next box of CO2 cylinders...they work great on percussion 'dry ball' loads, less so on flint, mainly because a flinter loaded without powder is likely to have the ball covering the touch hole, unless there is a patent breech on the gun...Hank

I couldn't take mine apart to see what the problem was. However I believe when I pressed the trigger it did not mechanically move the internal part to allow the gases to release. I finally gave up and bought the another one.

I noticed on the newest one the needle looked like a syringe with the hole at the front. The old version had the hole on the side of the needle.

Mine is a Saf-T Unloader brand. Bought it at Cabelas. It is the only one I am aware of, but I would guess there are other brands out there.

The one I used was from Cabela's--and it worked very, very well.

An old shooting buddy of mine had one, He had his ramrod get stuck in his barrel with a patch over a metal brush. He shot his rod out a good 20 yards. But I've heard that they take a special c02 cartridge. :hmm: Either way I'm buying one very soon, I have a nasty habit of loosing patches down the bore just before the final swipes during cleaning which leads to more powder, and more cleaning and finally another lost patch just out of the jags reach. :rotf:

Back