• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cold Steel trail hawk

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasontn

40 Cal.
Reaction score
anyone have one of these? i am considering buying one or swapping my ft meigs axe for one opinions and pics if possible please. thanks jason

I beleive they are made in Taiwan. I have a FT Miggs and it has good steel. Paid 28.00 years ago. The allen hawk is warranted for life. They are a poured cast hawk. H&B is another good one. I have a couple from Mt State now CAINS that are good. Dilly

I have two H&B Hawks.
They are good quality,heavy duty.
you can do just about anything with them.
hawk.jpg

thanks guys i have an old hb hawk too i just want a differnt style i figured the cold steel ones would be better given the makers name didnt know they were imported

I don't know.I have one of their small belt axes besides having a black finish I can't get off, it doesnt seem too bad.Would make a nice little hunting axe......Mark

I got one off Ebay brand new, looked OK in the photo, no fault to the seller... and it actually looks and hefts okay, but... it has this STUPID LITTLE HOLLOW RIVET holding the head to the handle. And the handle doesn't quite fit the head, so it just wiggles around and I can't fix it. For some reason that just ticks me off! I am in the market for a good hand-forged hawk now, preferably w/a hammer poll so I can use it to drive stakes.

it's a good throwing axe.
i'd keep the one you have and bye it.
just remember it a light axe

I have one, it's okay but looks modern-made. Good steel, has an Allen set screw to secure the head. Hammer head works well, but it's a little light for serious chopping.

Head is marked "Taiwan", but the steel is good. Good for light camp chores, but not period correct.

wheres the allen screw in the head? i havent seen this in any ads for the axe, i have made up mu mind to keep the one i have tho

You can't go wrong with an H&B. Had one for years, Ol Leon gave it to me, he won it at Friendship back in the late 70's. Some lowlife walked off with it while at a rendezvous. Not a participant but rather an observer.

Egar walked up and asked me why I sold my hawk, "I didn't sell it".

Now I have a gift hawk that resembles the H&B but was custom made from steel horse shoes by Donny.

Get the H&B.

Food for thought...

H&B Forge = $38.00
shawneehawk_260x110.jpg

Crazy Crow = $18.95
4934-122-043_250x210.jpg

Both will last a lifetime. :winking:

well i asked soem questions about the cold steel model on ebay. the set screw is in a place that cant be easily welded up, so i passed on it. ill keep my ft meigs and the old hb i have. i did however win an auction for an old flint brand roofers hatchet? not sure what these are called. it has an octagonal hammer poll and im going to take my dremel to it tomorrow to cut out the nail notch and it will have the exact profile as the cold steel model. thanks for the imput guys. jason

Yes both hawks will last awhile, but the H&B does come with a lifetime gaurantee.

FVR said:
Yes both hawks will last awhile, but the H&B does come with a lifetime gaurantee.

I know of nobody that guarantees the wooden handle and since the head is pretty much indestructible, I don't see the difference? Especially when the H&B costs twice as much. But hey, whatever works for people is fine with me.

Dale Brown said:
I know of nobody that guarantees the wooden handle and since the head is pretty much indestructible, I don't see the difference?

The type of metal used, the quality of the heat treating, quality of the eye, general workmanship, things like that. If you want to use it for serious work, those types of things are important...

Elnathan said:
Dale Brown said:
I know of nobody that guarantees the wooden handle and since the head is pretty much indestructible, I don't see the difference?

The type of metal used, the quality of the heat treating, quality of the eye, general workmanship, things like that. If you want to use it for serious work, those types of things are important...

That's fair. What is the composition of the metal in the H&B and how is the heat treating going to effect it's use? That is - what is this "serious work" that the hawk might be used for, besides chopping and throwing?

I can see where cost is effected by a custom, engraved hawk, but we're talking about a common, plain hawk in this case. Look at the photos.

Again, if people want to pay twice as much for a very "similar" item, it's ok by me, I just thought they should know that there are some comparable options out there. The differeence is, they don't have a "name" ($) attached to them. :v

Hi Anonymous,

I have a $22 hawk and the head IS coming apart. I use it for chopping wood at home and events, and have taught numerous folks the basics of tomahawk throwing with it. I'm not hardly an expert, but have taught many folks, including young kids the basic throw. I have replaced the handle and the head has taken a lot of abuse bouncing in the dirt, off rocks in the ground, etc. I resorted to using another hawk to tap it tighter to the handle with a blow or two on the underside of the blade.

Well, now the underside is starting to split where it was folded together near the eye during the forging, and looks like I need to replace the head. So, maybe a higher quality hawk isn't such a bad idea, and maybe there's a reason people look for a particular "name". 1 higher quality hawk is cheaper than 2 of these.

Twisted_1in66 :thumbsup:

By the way, since you are going to post actively on the forum, why don't you pick a handle instead of posting as Anonymous? :confused:

Back