• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Colerain turkey barrel?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I got this fowler with a Colerain turkey barrel on it, and was wondering what you fellas thought was the max load I could put in it without blowin it up? It's got a .62 down to a .58 choked barrel on it.

Why the max load?. Just try out different loads ie powder charges vs shot load. I think you will find out that max loads are very rarely the most accurate. The combination of over powder wads and over shot shot wads(cards) will also determine your optimum pattern. It will take some or alot of experimenting to figure out what works best for your gun. What one persons good load in thier gun may not work in YOUR gun.

I can't tell you the max load, nobody can with certainty, but I can tell you what Colerain recommends... 95 gr. 2F and 95 grains equivalent of #6 shot. I've been using one of these barrels for 15 years with that load as my baseline and have found it does an excellent job.

Spence

I just finished a gun with that barrel and haven't had a ton of time to test different wads, cards, powder charges, etc. but I did take the time to find an acceptable load for a turkey hunt that I just returned from. I shot 90 grains of FFg, two thin (maybe 1/8") lubed wads, 105 grains of lead 6 shot and two thin paper overpowder cards. I'm not blown away by the pattern but it's acceptable to 30 yards. Here are the results.

ricksphone_zps691a907d.jpg

Back