• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

collecting pigeon.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Collecting" must be the same as killing. :haha:

I used to shoot them here (smaller variety) but they were all tough and I preferred doves. Besides, I killed a few with leg bands and figured it might tee off the owners.

Not sure ground up pigeon is the ideal burger ingredient but to each his own! I've eaten far sillier things, I must admit!
Hey, where's Sprocket? Miss that hound! :wink: :haha: :thumbsup:

Those are some big pigeons! Congrats!

I never see pigeons out in the woods, but go to any old barn and it will be full of them!

When I was in Bangkok for a couple of weeks, ground spiced-up pigeon was part of every lunch. Net, since it was cooked in the usual Thai spices, I still don't know what it REALLY tastes like! :grin:

, I killed a few with leg bands and figured it might tee off the owners.

If it has a banded leg it is most likely a Racing pigeon.

I remember reading awhile back that the Chinese were paying as much as $35000.00 for a racing pigeon. :youcrazy:

Stew the breasts, bone in, in the crock pot with cream of mushroom soup. Delicious!

Pigeons with leg bands are drones.. :blah: don't fly in my airspace...

colorado clyde said:
, I killed a few with leg bands and figured it might tee off the owners.

If it has a banded leg it is most likely a Racing pigeon.

I remember reading awhile back that the Chinese were paying as much as $35000.00 for a racing pigeon. :youcrazy:
Boy those Chinese must like their burgers!

Wow, those things are as big as chickens! We have those tough, stringy, green vines, like the one across the stock in your first picture. We call them "wait-a-minute" vines, because they grab your ankles as you walk through the woods. Keep yer powder dry.......Robin :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Deputy Dog said:
Wow, those things are as big as chickens! We have those tough, stringy, green vines, like the one across the stock in your first picture. We call them "wait-a-minute" vines, because they grab your ankles as you walk through the woods. Keep yer powder dry.......Robin :wink:
That is holly sir :hatsoff:

B.

In my younger days have "robbed" pigeon nests and the squabs were tender and delicious. Never ate a pigeon because always thought they were tough. Pigeon hamburger sounds like a good idea.

Where do you hunt for pigeons and how fast do they flush or do you shoot at already flying birds? Are pigeons considered a game bird and is there a limit? Are the pigeons close to barns and spend the nights roosting in them?

Have you opened the crops of your pigeons to see what they feed on? They must be well fed to attain such size.

Are pigeons more of an "off season" shoot?

Some farmers allow pigeon shooting while others don't because they like roast squab.

Always enjoy your excellent pics......Fred

flehto said:
In my younger days have "robbed" pigeon nests and the squabs were tender and delicious. Never ate a pigeon because always thought they were tough. Pigeon hamburger sounds like a good idea.

Where do you hunt for pigeons and how fast do they flush or do you shoot at already flying birds? Are pigeons considered a game bird and is there a limit? Are the pigeons close to barns and spend the nights roosting in them?

Have you opened the crops of your pigeons to see what they feed on? They must be well fed to attain such size.

Are pigeons more of an "off season" shoot?

Some farmers allow pigeon shooting while others don't because they like roast squab.

Always enjoy your excellent pics......Fred
Some I take on the wing and some are stalked. They roost in woods.
There is no closed season on them. No bag limits.
Their crops were full of oil seed rape and ivy seed.

:hatsoff:

Pigeons ,,,, Dove in Formal Wear...In some States they are "non game birds" and you get in trouble for shooting them !!!!!

We have the Eurasian Collared Doves here in CO. The are similar in size to pigeons. No closed season, no limit, no license required.

If they aren't in Maine yet, just wait a bit.!

Back