• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Colorado Forts- Fetterman

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was a battle that the Indians won, hence a massacre.
Ha! You're right! If the Indians won, it's a massacre! I don't know what they called the murderous slaughter of women & children at Wounded Knee! Even the men warriors were asleep, it's not like they were attacking US troopers. Which reminds us, the infamous Lt. Calley died recently.

Captain William J. Fetterman was stationed at the newly constructed Fort Phil Kearny for the purpose of protecting the Boseman Trail. Fetterman was a Civil War veteran, but he had no experience with Indians. Arrogant and contemptuous of their Indian enemies, he supposedly boasted, "Give me 80 men and I can ride through the whole Sioux nation."
December 21, 1866. He had that exact chance when he was ordered to go to the rescue of a small wagon train that was under attack. It was a trap set by Red Cloud. Fetterman and 80 troopers were all killed.

Captain William J. Fetterman was stationed at the newly constructed Fort Phil Kearny for the purpose of protecting the Boseman Trail. Fetterman was a Civil War veteran, but he had no experience with Indians. Arrogant and contemptuous of their Indian enemies, he supposedly boasted, "Give me 80 men and I can ride through the whole Sioux nation."
December 21, 1866. He had that exact chance when he was ordered to go to the rescue of a small wagon train that was under attack. It was a trap set by Red Cloud. Fetterman and 80 troopers were all killed.
Wow! Thanks for that! Arrogance gets many killed!

The often told tale about Fetterman's 80 man boast is likely a tall tale. According to the book "Where A Hundred Soldiers Were Killed" by John H. Monnett there was no mention about that statement until 1904 in a book by Cyrus Brady titled "Indian Fights and Fighters". Brady worked with Ft. Phil Kearny commander Henry Carrington and his second wife Francis. Francis Carrington was married to cavalry officer William Grummond who was also killed at the Fetterman fight and has been blamed for the whole fight because he went too far chasing the Indians which made Fetterman feel compelled to go to his aid. Francis and Henry Carrington might have been trying to clear William's name and their own by blaming Fetterman. Seems awfully coincidental that the body count was exactly the same as what Fetterman supposedly bragged about.
Another thing is that a week or so earlier Fetterman got in an Indian fight and came away not underestimating his adversary.

The often told tale about Fetterman's 80 man boast is likely a tall tale. According to the book "Where A Hundred Soldiers Were Killed" by John H. Monnett there was no mention about that statement until 1904 in a book by Cyrus Brady titled "Indian Fights and Fighters". Brady worked with Ft. Phil Kearny commander Henry Carrington and his second wife Francis. Francis Carrington was married to cavalry officer William Grummond who was also killed at the Fetterman fight and has been blamed for the whole fight because he went too far chasing the Indians which made Fetterman feel compelled to go to his aid. Francis and Henry Carrington might have been trying to clear William's name and their own by blaming Fetterman. Seems awfully coincidental that the body count was exactly the same as what Fetterman supposedly bragged about.
Another thing is that a week or so earlier Fetterman got in an Indian fight and came away not underestimating his adversary.
Crazy Horse spent many days setting up the trap that Fetterman fell into. He was told, ordered, not to go past Lodge Trail Ridge but could not resist the opportunity to chase and kill a few Lakota who had been hassling the fort for months. There was a treaty in place stating that there would be no forts built in the Powder River country but alas that treaty like almost all others was broken by the Wasicu.

Read “Hundred in the Hand” by Joseph M Marshall III for a Lakota perspective on that battle.

I visited the site several years ago, it was a perfect place to set up the fights that we now call the "Fetterman Massacre". The command left the fort with a mixed unit of cavalry and infantry to pursue some Indians that had appeared to the sentries. The cavalry pulled away from the infantry and got sucked into an ambush that killed all of them. I don't recall how the infantry faired after that. It's been many years since I was there.

I visited the site several years ago, it was a perfect place to set up the fights that we now call the "Fetterman Massacre". The command left the fort with a mixed unit of cavalry and infantry to pursue some Indians that had appeared to the sentries. The cavalry pulled away from the infantry and got sucked into an ambush that killed all of them. I don't recall how the infantry faired after that. It's been many years since I was there.

If I remember correctly even the infantry was surrounded and killed.

Latest posts

Back