• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Colorado Forts- Fetterman

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I visited the site several years ago, it was a perfect place to set up the fights that we now call the "Fetterman Massacre". The command left the fort with a mixed unit of cavalry and infantry to pursue some Indians that had appeared to the sentries. The cavalry pulled away from the infantry and got sucked into an ambush that killed all of them. I don't recall how the infantry faired after that. It's been many years since I was there.
If I remember correctly the infantry unit was surrounded and killed as well.

Some 20 years ago I was at that site where Fort Fetterman stood and picked up a few square nails that were out of the buildings that the Indians burnt. The story goes that they had set the Fort on fire before the soldiers had got on a side over the Ridge
I believe you are referring to Ft Phil Kearny near Sheridan, WY. Ft Fetterman was in operation until 1882. Ft Phil Kearny, Ft CF Smith, and aft Reno were all abandoned as part of the treaty of 1868. This resulted in Ft Fetterman being the northern most fort and did not fall under the treaty because it was on the south side of the North Platter River. Ft Casper was also abandoned and those soldiers were sent to Ft Fetterman.

Latest posts

Back