• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Colorado Orange Regs.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsday

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey all you Colorado guys. Can you tell me the orange requirements for the September M/L elk season?

Coming out to your fine country this fall.

Thanks,

Greg

400 square inches,
but bow hunters don't have to wear orange in the woods during muzzleloader season(stupid DOW rule)
So neather do I.
go against my trying not to be seen thing.

Good hunting combos for elk hunting during the Colorado MLer elk season are a reversible vest and cap {camo and orange} seeing the bowhunters aren't req'd to wear orange....Fred

Been known to stuff mine in my pack too! :shocked2:

Depends on how many bowhunters are around. They have a history of shooting each other in CO. Only MLer ever to shoot another hunter was a ml guy hunting with a bow hunter and he shot his bowhunter buddy. . . . . about one hour before shooting light! :shocked2: :shocked2:

marmotslayer said:
Been known to stuff mine in my pack too! :shocked2:

Depends on how many bowhunters are around. They have a history of shooting each other in CO. Only MLer ever to shoot another hunter was a ml guy hunting with a bow hunter and he shot his bowhunter buddy. . . . . about one hour before shooting light! :shocked2: :shocked2:
yup and then there was the bow hunter cow calling before first light and got stuck in the back side by another bow hunter(still dark) :shake:
I am usally well above 12,000 ft by first light anyway.
I expect a ticket some day and will fight it and lose and have to pay a fine, but still feel whats good for the goose(muzzleloader) is good for the gander(bow hunters).

Don't forget part of that 400 square inches needs to be a hat. Don't ask me how I know that :cursing:

Got horseback before morning light and rode back into camp that night with a visitor waiting for us. "Where's your orange hat?" he asked. "Right here" I said taking it off only to realize it was my camo hat. :redface:

Actually, you guys are all wrong. I just read the regulations, and it's 500 sq. inches w/hat! I talked to a CDOW officer about it once, and if you are wearing a pack that is blocking the view of the orange from the back, the pack even needs to have orange on it to technically be legal. Most of my orange hasn't been washed in years, if at all. Doesn't glare like brand new stuff, but still easy to see by people.I don't know if it makes all that much difference to elk and deer, I've had them walk up on me and have stalked them successfuly wearing either camo or orange. Still, in the back of my mind, I just know full camo must be better.
IMO, I think movement and scent are probably more important, and covering or painting your face w/camo, it kind of stands out with nothing over it.

Years ago- 1983 to be exact-- I read a true account of a man in Arkansas who had been blinded when he was shot by another Turkey hunter. He had been active as a volunteer HUNTER SAFETY instructor ever since his accident.

He supervised an experiement in the early 1980s. 100 Turkey hunters volunteered to be involved in a test. 50 wore standard camo clothing for their hunts. 50 wore Blaze Orange Camo. Both groups had the same success ratio.

Later I read findings in a magazine published by the " Stump Sitters",, called " Deer and Deer Hunting", in which scientists proved that Deer can see color, just at a higher intensity of light, than we do. The scientists indicated that Blaze Orange vests and hats worked best for identifying other hunters in those early dawn and late dusk hours when even human eyesight is not the best. In sunny parts of the day, the deer could see both the orange, and YOU , as could other hunters see You-with or without blaze orange-- and deer.

The only material I have read about the capabilities of Elk puts them in the same category as Deer.

Both Deer and Elk are hampered in recognizing forms because their eyes are located on the side of their skulls, and they lack BINOCULAR VISION. They can see a lot more country because the eyes are on the sides of their skulls, but they lack depth perception. All prey species have their eyes on the sides of their skulls, and all lack depth perception.

I have had deer walk right up to within 6 feet of me standing next to a tree, wearing a full blaze orange coverall and hat. I have had squirrels walk over my boots as I stretched out on a dead-fall tree to rest my back and catch a nap in the early afternoon. I have had birds land on branches of trees next to my face when I was sitting in tree stands in full blaze orange.

I know archery hunters who have crawled within a few yards of Elk to take their kill for the year, along with others who have done the same with muzzleloaders to take antelope at extremely short ranges.

Wearing B.O. is for your safety-- not the game. If wearing B.O. could be shown to scare away game, I can assure you the rules would be relaxed.Game management of our herds of deer, antelope, elk, moose, etc. are designed to protect the whole herd from mass dying from diseases, and to reduce the number of auto-deer crashes each year. The first is accomplished by limiting the number of doe permits that are issued, and controlling the number of total permits issued so that the Age of the population of the herd is in the prime reproductive, and health range. The second is done by issuing more doe permits to reduce the size of the herd, and thereby reduce the number of crashes.

If anything were to interfere with either of these objectives, the Game departments would change the rules rather quickly.

Just like a lot of hunters here, You will continue to do as you please, but wearing blaze orange is to protect you from someone who has no business hunting anywhere near you, but manages to find himself there, anyway.

I know that in the Rocky Mountains, that seems to be an impossibility, considering the distances, and the vastness of the wild country, but it only has to happen ONCE for you to be permanently injured, crippled, or killed. You owe it to your family to wear that B.O. when you are out, no matter how few people you think are within 10 miles of you.

I have a very good friend who was shot at on Private Property, where he was the ONLY PERSON with permission to be hunting there,as he sat in a tree during Archery Deer Season. It was opening day of the upland Game season, and some bird hunters trespassed from adjoining property, got a bird up and began firing. He saw them coming and moved behind the tree, just in time to have birdshot hit the tree in front of his head, and the branches all around him. He was dressed in straight camo. These trespassers were at least 200 yards off the property where they had permission to hunt. That 200 yds. is NOTHING compared to the distances you experience In Colorado, but they weren't armed with high power rifles, either. BTW,He began hollering at them when they came within about 50 yards, but the wind was against him, and he could not be heard.

He has since hunted antelope,Mule Deer and Elk in Wyoming, and Colorado. He is very impressed by how much easier it is to see other hunters when they wear Blaze Orange out there.

This is truly a case where the LIFE you save may be your own. Please Wear the Blaze Orange. :wink: :hmm: :hatsoff:

Actually, you guys are all wrong. I just read the regulations, and it's 500 sq. inches

That's correct. The actual reg reads like this: 500 square inches of blaze orange, some of which must be worn on the head.

I also saw mention earlier in this thread about using blaze orange in camo pattern. That is prohibited under CO law as well. Must be straight blaze orange

To be absolutely clear: Camo blaze orange does not satisfy the 500 square inches of "SOLID" blaze orange required. However, Nothing makes wearing Camo blaze orange illegal. I have a camo B.O. jacket I wear, with a solid Blaze orange Vest, in size XXL, along with a B.O. hat, to satisfy the requirements. I wear the camo B.O. jacket so that the sleeves help "Hide " the movement of my hands and arms as I turn and mount my gun to shoot. Animals react to movement more than to color, and the faster movements humans make are with their hands and arms. I have also been known to use a standard camo " Net" over my face, to limit how much movement is seen when I turn my head. Again, its not illegal. It just doesn't meet the B.O. legal requirements. I don't presently own a camo B.O. coverall, but its on my list of things to buy. I want to be seen by other humans out there. I have been shot at enough, and hit occasionally, that I don't want to go through that experience again.

To be absolutely clear: Camo blaze orange does not satisfy the 500 square inches of "SOLID" blaze orange required. However, Nothing makes wearing Camo blaze orange illegal.

Welllll.... Only the law! :haha:

Which reads thus:

IT’S AGAINST THE LAW TO:

25. Not wear at least 500 square inches of solid DAYLIGHT FLUORESCENT
ORANGE material in an outer garment above the waist while hunting
deer, elk, pronghorn, bear or moose with any firearm. Part of the fluorescent
orange must be a hat or head covering visible from all directions.
Camouflage orange does not qualify. Mesh garments are legal but not recommended.
We strongly recommend wearing daylight fluorescent orange
clothes in the field even if you’re not hunting.

No mention was made, that I recall, about camouflage being illegal. Certainly all comments made by most contributors to this thread were regarding Colorado regulations (see title of thread for clarification :wink: ).

I have been shot at enough, and hit occasionally, that I don't want to go through that experience again.

As for me, I left all that behind 40 years ago in Southeast Asia. Have never had any kind of close call while hunting. Must be something in the water in Illinois. :shocked2:

The shooting vest I wear is double sided, with ordinary camo on one side, and B.O. on the other. Its not one of those thin B.O. vests highways workers use during summer work crews. It fully meets the requirements. My camo B.O. jacket, has sleeves, that are Not covered by the vest. The Camo B.O. sleeves provide cover of my arms and wrists when I have to move them to raise my gun, or turn the gun to make a shot. It works.

As to being shot at, I did not serve in SE Asia. All the shooting that has occurred has happened here in Illinois, mostly while hunting. I have been hit twice by ricochettes on shooting ranges. One shooter was firing at me, and a group of deer hunters, from Missouri with a high powered rifle. He fired more than 30 rounds, and kept firing until I fired three rifles slugs in his direction. Cowards don't like being shot. We saw a man running away on the Missouri Skyline shortly after I finished shooting.

Back