• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

coloring a powderhorn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoShadows

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have only one source left for potassium permanganate. Just finished a new horn and am wanting to get that nice yellowish, orangish color that is so popular right now. I know the potassium permanganate will do the job, but the amount available and price is kinda prohibitive. I've tried rit dye....iodine and a couple other methods, but cannot achieve the color I see on the horns for sale around rendezvous. Some of my horns have developed their own patina over the last 40 years, but I don't think I have another 40 to wait on this last one. Does anyone have a proven method to color it now?

Hi TwoShadows, Have you tried onion skin stain? It works well, but I have only seen it used by boiling the horn in it, which I don't see as practical on a finished horn. It may work cold, but I don't know. Most of the stained horns I see are more brown than the yellow orange I have seen in the books. I saw some really nice horns at Manskers 2 or 3 years ago, beautiful orange gold, and these were done by a custom mix of laquer sprayed on. The maker claimed that it holds up well since laquer is a very hard finish, and only wears where it rubs the bag or strap. You may do well by contacting some of the better known horners and asking them. Some will probably tell you their methods, and of course some will not. Gerald Dukes will not, but as good as his color is, it is still not the pretty gold I would like. If you come across something, please let me know. Your friend Wick.

Here's a thought on coloring...
Easter is coming up, color it the way you would color eggs...

Heat the horn up in hot water and use food coloring with 1 tbsp. white vinegar...

P.S.
Two Shadows, if you will email me your mailing address, I will send you enough Potassium Permanganate to do your horn, if that is what you want to use.

I don't like the Gerald Dukes color either, although I traded him out of a horn when we were down there. It was the only one he had with a thin neck...most of them were a bit thick in the neck area. I'm going to try and re-color it too. Lee Larkin must use the Potassium permanganate or the lacquer you spoke of.....I like his coloring best. Bought some raw horns from him while there too. I will send you my address by private mail section. Thanks very much.

I live in an area where potassium permanganate is used for water purification. I can't get small quantities but I can get large quantities. If I can help email me.

My favorite as a first attempt to 'age' anything is black tea. Make a stong brew and soak the item in it. Works great for bone and antler (and paper). The best news is that if it doesn't work at least it is cheap and does no harm. I haven't tried horn but imagine it should work as well.

Dixie has a prepared stuff, "Old Bones" that you dilute and which does a good job on horns...works fast, and you can get the shade you want by paying a little attention. I suspect it is mostly, maybe all, pottasium permanganate or whatever y'all were talking about...it's purple..Hank

Dread...agree that aging a horn for a re-enacting costume makes no sense. I age the ones that are going to guys who want 'em that way, or that are going to be prizes (if I'm donating the prize, I get to say how it'll look)...I'd guess that 80% of my horns go out, "natural"....never thought about the silver nitrate on black horns...what color do you get? All I've ever done with black horns is to use white ink for scrim shawing....mostly done it on goat horns for priming...Hank

Hank: The best horns are white with a black tip, now an then you have to blacken the tip where you have reduced it or the engrailing. This is what I use the silver nitrate for. To make silver nitrate use a small quanity of pure nitric acid and dissolve bits of pure silver (check out jewelery supply stores) untill it will not disolve any more. This may take a few days to a week. store it in a safe place with your aqua fortis. After applying use light to darken your horn, never heat as that gives it a sick green color.

Latest posts

Back