• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New to PRB

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I posted on here a while back to get some help with an Austin and Halleck Mountain Rifle, which was my first traditional muzzleloader. I appreciate the help I received so much that I'm back with another question. After several forum members recommended reaching out to White Muzzleloading in Utah about getting one of their 1:66" twist barrels for PRB to complement the 1:28" twist barrel I had, I finally made the purchase today now that I'm living out east and want to take it out for whitetail. I'm familiar with reloading for rifle rounds, but wanted to know if there are any reloading manual type resources for developing a load for PRB? IE starting powder charges for a given projectile and powder type, etc. I'd like to get this as accurate as possible, so any guidance on proper patch and ball selection for this specific barrel as well would be much appreciated. Thank you again for the help I've received on this forum over the years!

@Coueswhitetail, one manual of sorts is the system for establishing a load developed by Dutch Schoultz. While Dutch has passed, copies of his system, "Black Powder Accuracy", can still be ordered. It is no longer available on E-Bay but can be ordered directly from his daughter. It's not just about ball size but also patch material and patch lubricants. We can give a synopsis of while Dutch has created about a 96 page treatise on the subject. This is a good source for people beginning to seek an accurate load for their rifle. He does focus on patched round ball and target shooting.

https://blackpowderrifleaccuracy.com/

Back