• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Colt 1851 Navy—120 yards?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I wouldn't say trigger control is transferable between long gun and hand gun either. It's an entirely different support and pressure application from an extended arm in hand gun shooting.

In my observations over many years people who are excellent pistol shots also tend to be excellent marksmen with a rifle. Shotguns for skeet and trap totally different.

What skills transfer you can argue about, but the opposite is also true, poor shots are usually just poor shots.

I have a brother that way, cannot shoot anything well.

In the early 1980's, I purchased an Uberti Colt Walker. My first for this Black Powder pistol was at a 100-yard target. I just loaded it with the maximum and gave it a try.

I hit within 4 feet of the target with each shot. I just assumed that you could use this pistol at long ranges.

As time went on, I moved away from Black Powder shooting, but this year I started this fun hobby again.

Marc

when I was kid I used to shoot icicles off a cliff at about 100 yrds with my 51 navy. Easy swhooting as you could see your impacts and adjust. currently I regularly hit a 6inch steel plate at 60yrds with my single shot percussion pistols but no luck with my 1858 Remington's. crappy trigger pulls. I did however have good luck at the same distance with an old 12 inch cooking pot. might want to have your hero practice a lot and tune his pistol..

when I was kid I used to shoot icicles off a cliff at about 100 yrds with my 51 navy. Easy swhooting as you could see your impacts and adjust. currently I regularly hit a 6inch steel plate at 60yrds with my single shot percussion pistols but no luck with my 1858 Remington's. crappy trigger pulls. I did however have good luck at the same distance with an old 12 inch cooking pot. might want to have your hero practice a lot and tune his pistol..
Thank you! That’s encouraging to know

Hans Busk a Victorian writer extoled the virtues of the London Pimlico Colt Navy being able to give good account out to 410 yard describing it as a ' pocket rifle ' Page 45" The Rifle & how to use it "1859. That year the peak year for Volunteer rifle men being formed due the perceived threat from France .
Rudyard

I also really hate inaccurate and impassable stuff in movies and books but hitting a torso @100m with a 51 is absolutely doable for an exceptionably well trained pistolero. head shot would be a lot of skill and luck but a low percentage shot for an expert at that range. I forgot to mention that the icicles I was shooting at as a kid were big.

one of the guys on here used to post videos of hin shooting an 18 inch gong one handed at 100yrds with an ROA. I suspect he could do the same with a 51 navy if he was current with that pistol. 18 inches is a tad big though for a head shot.

There’s almost nothing worse when reading a piece of historical fiction than to introduce something as implausible as this. It pops the imagination bubble and kind of sours the experience.
Unless it was a magic bullet.
Then that would change everything 🫣
Just my two cents.
So you deride Hans Busks account ? The officer in question wrote of the Kaffir war nothing wild west about it Well was wild West & Southern Africa came into the account if the 410 range refers to Erith range UK not saying its pin point just a danger to the opponents
Rudyard who can read & dosn't see need to doubt the reference

So you deride Hans Busks account ? The officer in question wrote of the Kaffir war nothing wild west about it Well was wild West & Southern Africa came into the account if the 410 range refers to Erith range UK not saying its pin point just a danger to the opponents
Rudyard who can read & dosn't see need to doubt the reference
Not referring to Busk, but the OP's story idea.
I know to question not the wisdom of our dear Rudyard :cool:

Agreed.

Sharpshooting is aim and hit what you aim at. You have your ranges sorted out and call it to 600 yards, (unless there is a strong horizontal wind factor)

More modern rifles had adjustable sights that a good shot could use. Some had great sights for it (Model of 1917 Enfield). Scopes for that purpose that dial in adjustments based on your data card (though that edges into Sniper if not Sniper)

Walking rounds in is not sharpshooting. It can be effective, Sniper do it (hence the spotter as one of his duties to call the adjustment.

“Holding the reins of two horses with one hand, Austin Police Sgt. Adam Johnson raised his service pistol and fired a bullseye into the target some 312 feet away.

Down went Larry McQuilliams, and so ended his rampage through the streets of the Texas capital, where he’d fired more than 100 rounds from his AK-47 and .22-caliber rifles at buildings. The shot, from Johnson’s Smith & Wesson M&P .40 pistol, hit McQuilliams square in the chest and made the 15-year-veteran the toast of gun enthusiasts around the country.

“At a minimum, it was extraordinary shot,” said Army Maj. John Plaster, a retired Special Forces operator, long-range shooting expert and author of “The Ultimate Sniper: An Advanced Training Manual for Military and Police Snipers.”
I believe that Elmer Keith was observed hitting targets at 400 yards with a handgun but not first shot, shoot and correct for error.
The biggest issue is a round ball is not a very good long range shape when compared to most any conical form. Drop is predictable wind drift takes a bit more experience.

Latest posts

Back