• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

colt paterson: maximum powder charge

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agent00

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi, my new question is already in the subject line: what was the maximum powder charge of the colt paterson?

mine has the same cylinder length as the 51 navy. The navy will hold 25 grains of fffg. Shooting the Paterson, I just used the 22 grain spout and pyrodex P Clocked in the 970s with ball.

I will buy soon an peterson replica. I have got allready an colt dragoon but I am also interested in shooting an 36 revolver. Which model would you recomend? the uberti model or the navy arms model?

Right now, Uberti is way out in front of the others in terms of availability of spare parts. They also seem to have fewer problems and necessary adjustments of a simpler nature.

The piettas(the probably source of the Navy Arms) have slightly smaller chambers which are more compatible with the readily available .375 balls. The one's I've seen have been good in the barrel cylinder measurements and alignment and capable of good accuracy VTI gunparts has been successful in keeping spare parts for both although Pietta is less interested in after-sale customer support than Uberti USA or Cimarron Arms (which deals in Ubertis)

All percussion revolvers require more maintenance than modern arms. The springs will fatigue and break and it can become necessary to fit replacement action parts.

Back