• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Colt Replicas

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hickok45

32 Cal.
Reaction score
My searching has been unsuccessful.

I recently acquired a 3rd Model Dragoon and a 3rd Gen. 1851 Navy. Both are Colt replicas, but I intend to shoot them, despite their unfired collectible status.

Anybody out there shot these enough to recommend the most likely round ball sizes to start with? I have some .44 and .36 caliber balls around that I have used in my Uberti and Remington reproductions. I just have not shot any of these guns enough to have a lot of experience to rely on. I'll be trying these balls first and see how they work. I'm not planning on shooting competition or anything; I just want something that will be tight enough not to roll back out of the chamber and shoot straight. :)
Thanks,
Hickok45

You really need to try different size balls until you get one that cuts a nice round ring of lead off the ball when you load it.

Since Uberti makes most of the parts for Colt. Unless Colt machined the chambers. The same balls that work in the Uberti should work in the Colts.

Your choice of balls you can buy are .451-.454-.457. One of those should work for the .44 Colt.

A .375 or .380 should work for the .36 Colt.

Pete's pretty much got it covered, except since you're sort of a Newbie, I'd recommend to shy away from .451's as .454's in my 3rd Model Dragoon leave just a small sliver of a ring of lead. Especially IF you stoke it up with 40-50 grains of 3Fg powder, since you specifically stated that you didn't want the balls "jumping" (paraphrasing) in the cylinder's chambers :wink: .

Have fun making smoke!

Dave

Your choice on shooting these Colts ... but understand that shooting a black powder firearm is hard on it. Cleaning, dis-assembly, screw heads get buggered, cleaning rod scuffs, all will happen despite your best efforts.

Some on the forum will likely disagree with me, but the first shot from one of these collectibles is like driving the new car out of the showroom ... that trip over the threshold cost perhaps 30% of the purchase price!

This being your well thought-out choice, good for you!

My thought is these are Colt USA marked firearms replicas, far more valuable than the current Italian versions. If not, just enjoy!

I, for one, would get the same model from Uberti/Pietta and have great fun knowing I can get another replica, but the Colt-made replicas are gone forever.

I agree with Capper on both his posts. Besides, the new Colts are not all that valuable anyhow. Most if not all the parts were Uberti parts, finished by Colt. Call me weird, and a heretic, but if I had an original in new condition, and if money was no object to me, and I did not want to sell it, I'd shoot it! I don't really care about preserving for future owners, we only go around once. If I knew I would never want to sell it, and I really wanted to use it. I'd use it. I would care for it, but use it. That's just my view, and thats why I never had a desire to collect guns. If I can't shoot it, I ain't buying it, unless to resell for a decent profit.

I'm also into fly fishing, and love bamboo rods.

I know some guys who buy rods from the modern master makers, and never fish them. They say they don't want to scratch them.

It makes me sick. I think of the master builder spending 100's of hours building that rod to perfection. Not just for how it looks, but how it will cast. I think it's an insult to the master to not fish it.

The same thing applies for guns as far as i'm concerned.

Shoot it! Enjoy it for what it is. Not for what it's worth.

not to be brown nosin but that does make a little sense! by the way whats the biggest fly you hauled in yet :rotf: i usually try to go cat fishin now and again but the flys down here are so big thell pull your rod outta your hand so after losing numerous fishing rigs i had to give up fly fishing and stick to catfishing, and they are better tastin, unless you snag a big ol green hossfly but thats a whole nother sport

I'd start with a .454 ball for the Dragoon. Sorry, I can't help with the .36 cal.

Congratulations on your new Colts! I'm looking forward to watching them in action! I'm a big fan of your Youtube channel. :bow:

Capper said:
I'm also into fly fishing, and love bamboo rods.

I know some guys who buy rods from the modern master makers, and never fish them. They say they don't want to scratch them.

It makes me sick. I think of the master builder spending 100's of hours building that rod to perfection. Not just for how it looks, but how it will cast. I think it's an insult to the master to not fish it.

The same thing applies for guns as far as i'm concerned.

Shoot it! Enjoy it for what it is. Not for what it's worth.

Well, I've got nothing so valuable as an unfired second series Colt, but that's because I bought MY second series Walker back in 1988 NIB to shoot, not admire. That's because it was made to be shot, not stuck in glass fronted box and oohed at. Add to that the somewhat more important factor that here in Merrie Olde yUK if you don't shoot it, you can lose it.

I also have a signed Katana made between 1620 and 1635 - sure it's just an old jap sword, but I use it even so. That's what the maker intended all those years ago, and I pay homage and respect to his craftsmanship and skills every time it is drawn, whether just to show or to demonstrate.

tac
POH101TLAS

WHOA!! You're that Hickok?

I've watched all your videos. I really enjoy them.

Well, except for the one on the 58 when you complained about the 60 you couldn't get apart. :grin:

Capper said:
WHOA!! You're that Hickok?

I've watched all your videos. I really enjoy them.

Well, except for the one on the 58 when you complained about the 60 you couldn't get apart. :grin:

Yeah, you remembered that 1860 adventure I talked about. I've actually had some problems with two different Uberti 1860s over the years. I'm hoping these Colts work find. I'm trusting that the assembly and finish work might be a little better.
I came upon these from someone who was selling a large collection of these guns; I don't have a great deal more money in them than I'd have in Ubertis. Life is short, so I'm going to enjoy them, as I do my Colt SAAs.

Thanks for watching a crazy man on YouTube.
Hickok45

Yeah, I love your You Tube adventures as well.
Shoot 'em. Guns were meant to be fired, unless you're an "investor". Why buy a Corvette and put it up on blocks hoping to make a killing somewhere down the road? Hell, you could die tomorrow and have the maid toss it in the trash! And go to your Maker saying, "Damn, I wish I'd fired that Dragoon JUST ONCE!"
St. Peter is looking down from a cloud right now going, "Shoot the darn gun!"

Couldn't agree more...art is intended to be looked at. Guns are made to be fired. I wouldn't own a gun that I didn't intend to fire.

straightcut said:
I'd start with a .454 ball for the Dragoon. Sorry, I can't help with the .36 cal.

Congratulations on your new Colts! I'm looking forward to watching them in action! I'm a big fan of your Youtube channel. :bow:

Me, too. :bow: x 10

tac
POH1010TLAS

Oh, I think you'll see these on camera at some point. Hickok45 has gone way too long without having the essential pair of '51 Navy Colts! Ironically, I traded my Uberti '51 Navy just prior to starting the YouTube stuff.

I've always loved these old percussion revolvers since first spotting them in movies when I was a dumb little kid. :) I didn't even know at the time what that "thing" was hanging under the barrel, but I thought it was so cool.

Back