• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

'Colt's' Model 1861 two-bander

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Afternoom, Gentlemen.

Can anybody tell me about an interesting two-band rifle on sale at a local gun dealer here in yUK? It is described as a Colt's model 1861 'Special Musket Artillery' version.

I've never seen one before and it looks pretty sharp - should be, I 'spose, since it's brand-new. It does appear to be VERY shiny, including the butt-plate, and has genuine-looking stamps all over [as well as the compulsory, but mercifully small] UK Proof Marks.

Who made it? 'Snot the real deal, THAT much I know, at £650. Anyone who has one care to share their knowledge with me?

TIA

tac
Supporter of the Cape Meares Lighthouse Restoration Fund

There was a contract at the begining of the war for Colt to produce the revolving carbine for cavilary troops. These at first were thought of as good until troops got into a real heated battles then they started to get chain fires (fire one chamber and others chamber(s) would fire as well)This caused alot of injuries and men loosing some or all of their left hand as well as damage to the carbine due this problem. The Colt carbine was dropped for use in the field. Its an interesting wall hanger but I would not be shooting it. As for who is reproducing it I'd dare say that either Italy or Spain doing.

No, it is the two band version of the regular Colt 1861 special rifle musket. Colt sold replicas of those they made during the Civil War several years ago, even though originally they only made the three band version. I believe they were made all or in part by Armisport.

Trot said:
No, it is the two band version of the regular Colt 1861 special rifle musket. Colt sold replicas of those they made during the Civil War several years ago, even though originally they only made the three band version. I believe they were made all or in part by Armisport.

Yup, it's the two-band so-called Artillery model I was talking about, not the Colt's Revolving Carbine [as originally issued to Col Berdan's 'Sharpshooters']. Steve over at the store has sent me some pics, but I'm a mite leery of the VERY shiney appearance - the Zouave and Springfield muskets I'm familar with simply look bright-ish - not chromed!

Thanks all.

tac

I have one of these muskets- they are not chromed, but highly polished. It is a first class arm, although most sources I've checked say Colt never actually produced an "artillery" model during the Civil War, only the 3-band model as previously mentioned. It shoots great, at any rate, and I believe it is considered an actual Colt firearm. Mine requires an oversize minie ball to shoot well- the .575 or .578 moulds aren't large enough.

towgunner11h said:
I have one of these muskets- they are not chromed, but highly polished. It is a first class arm, although most sources I've checked say Colt never actually produced an "artillery" model during the Civil War, only the 3-band model as previously mentioned. It shoots great, at any rate, and I believe it is considered an actual Colt firearm. Mine requires an oversize minie ball to shoot well- the .575 or .578 moulds aren't large enough.

Sir - I know it's not chromed, I just remarked that it was so highly polished that it looked like it was chromed.

Good to hear that it shoots well - it will have to, if I decide that I can't live without it it's going to cost me three guns to get it. I'm two guns over my limit in this county, so the others must go to be legal here.

Best thing you did, back in 1776, IMO.

Wish I could.

tac

PS - here's a real three-bander and bayonet....

http://www.kirkemmerich.co.uk/long-guns/colt-1861-percussion-musket-bayonet/

Just been to see it - VERY nice, but he won't budge from $1100 so I walked.

tac

Back