• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Competition shooting technique

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A little while back, Muzzleblasts had a couple of articals on BP pistol shooting. Fella writing the articals was at the Masters level at Friendship. Boy could he chew out the center of a target even at 50 yards. I'm still trying to hit the target at 25 yards with my Kentucky pistol. I can hit it with my revolvers at that range but still nothin to brag about. Now at 15 yards I'm a lot more confident.

I usually do a one handed hold when not shooting from a rest. Tried to use some of the Muzzleblasts tips but I need a lot more practice.

Don

Shooting a muzzle loading pistol in competition is pretty much like firing the 50yd slow fire stage of a bullseye match. The only real differences are that you have to reload between shots and that followthrough is more critical because of the increased time between hammer fall and the ball leaving the barrel.

Reloading between shots can introduce variables in that you may change postures slightly because you don't get your feet back in the same position -- one reason why I never liked to reload behind the line. The major difference is that the gun leaves your shooting hand between shots, and you really have to work at it to get the same grip for each shot. When I shot bullseye, the gun never left my shooting hand, and I never moved my feet until after I had fired my ten rounds.

Also, at some matches there are no spotting scopes allowed. At 50 yards particularly, it is helpful to be able to tell exactly where your shots are going so that you can compensate for light conditions, and wind.

Good Reply, Bear Rider. Shot NRA Bullseye for years until it became not fun. Too uptight. My first blackpowder event I attended showed that muzzleloaders have more fun with their shooting, so quit the 2700s. I don't do anything different that when shooting cartridge match pistol; I even use one of my match .22s to sharpen my eye/hand coordination as practice. One thing that is different is the grip, my plow-handle caplock isn't anything like a High Standard or .45. This puts the trigger at a different position, but actually have less interference w/ my finger.

I use the old "close your eyes & point" routine after returning to the firing line: ie, while not looking, point your pistol at the target. Open your eyes & adjust your feet. Tried marking the position of my feet, but sometimes that dosen't work.

Bear and Fergetful both make very good points. The National Match course will beat you up, but you only have to put the pistol down between strings. I learned about FJ's "natural shooting position finder" when I shot competition in the Navy. That, plus "sight alignment and trigger control", was the way to numerous local match championships and the Tenth Naval District championship. Uniformity is key in muzzleloading.

the opinions stated above are "right on" :imo:
Prior to shooting MLs, I spent 40+ yr.s as a hand gun Instr.(still am)& comp.shooter (no longer BPs far more fun & personally challenging)I prefer "wheel guns, because in the disp. I shot they were more accurate :imo:
But when I first started w/ BPI was not consistent.not the gun but the type of grip ie: "std. rounded" I switched to a Ped. Mortimer (plow handle) The reason is because I can be more consistent in my grip.I now shoot ML almost as well as I do shooting my S&W rev.
Still shoot EXACTLY the same way, stance etc.
:m2c: Unless the match req. a 1 handed grip WHY use it, I use the same "modified weaver" stance as I use w/ mod. guns.
I teach & use the stance that is "natural" & markmanship(the IPSIC boys & I go round & round, but @ 60+ I can still "hold my own, when we move the targets out past 7-10 yd.s (like 25, 50 & when I move it out to 75 & 100 & const. hit the 10'- 12" steel, they usually back off.)By the way I sometimes use my ML for this exersise.
PLEASE note, that L reg. get my B--- kicked by those who can really shoot :curse:

PRACTICE, PRACTICE the fundimentals, they are the same :m2c:

Back