• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

complete rebuild

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Major project ahead and I request advice.
One of the first rifles I built never suited me. Just never felt right, looked right or took a good finish. It has been fitted with two diferent patch boxes, is on it's fourth lock (2 percussion, 2 flint, present one is from a CVA Hawkin) and second barrel (.45&.50).
Being thrifty, (my wife says stingy beyond belief) I refuse to give up and trash the wood, even though the finish never did turn out like I wanted. It looks like manure anyway, so why not do a complete rebuild of the lock area.
HAS ANYONE EVER DONE A PATCH UP, GLUE UP LAMINATION INVOLVING THE ENTIRE CENTER SECTION OF A LATE lANCASTER STOCK?
I know it isn't practical, but I have nothing else to do until the DR. says my heart is safe to go back to real work. Then, the frustration level of a project like this might be more than the ticker can stand. I just get Pee'd off at that rifle every time I look at it. It's the only one that just never worked out. Still irritates me after 20 years! Should have made the EX wife take it in the divorce settlement (that's how I got rid of the Chevette).

Rather than go to all of that trouble, why not go to TOW or Tip Curtis and buy a stock Second that has a worm hole or bark inclusion, get a good deal on a really nice looking piece of wood, & save yourself allot of aggravation on that old stock you are allready ****** off at ? Normally the defects in these seconds are only minor and most of the time when finished you won't even notice it or it may add charactor to the rifle.

I would think if you are home & ill with heart problems, you would want to build something & enjoy doing it rather than mess with something that will aggravate ya even more. Why not treat yourself, give the ol heave-ho to the crappy stock, give the gun a face lift & a few new parts & make a good-un out of her ?

Custom Muzzleloaders & Custom Knives

never did a major stock re-build, but when I converted a DGW Lancaster from perc to flint using a small Siler lock, I found i had to do some patching work around the lock area..it was satisfying, but difficult...if I had it to do over, I'd probably look for that new wood...didn't know you could buy "seconds", but that sure appeals to me...Hank

I'm kept busy by hunters who ride horses and 4 wheelers and
break their guns in half or come in with big pieces of the stock missing. You could even cut the whole lock section out of the stock and replace it, but it doesn't sound like the rest of the stock is that great so why bother just start over with a whole new stock.

Ghost-

Yes I have, doing a restoration of a 1970's built rifle that fell into the wrong crowd at a rendevous. Vertical crack from wrist to just in front of the lock. Would I do it again? Yes, but my rates for this kind of work went WAY UP!!!! :: :: :D

My shop has a couple of crappy pieces hanging around from my first rifle project. I use them to remind me to always buy quality components, and that I really have improved a bit over the years. If ya can't give up on that block of wood, hang it on the wall of your shop. It will inspire you in the future! ::

I give a project three stikes. I think that you have given this piece all the chances that it deserves. If the barrel is a good shooter, put it in new wood, and buy a quality lock for it. Build something that your proud of! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I just spent an hour stripping a stock. Only thing I couldn't salvage was the patchbox lid cause I'd filed the screw heads off. You guys were right, I now have all the goodies I need to finish out a "nice" rifle (already have the wood), and a reminder of what NOT TO DO hanging on thew shop wall. Actually, it don't look too bad hanging there, just never was "right".

If you centerpunch the screw heads on the patchbox & then drill just past the deph of the head you may be able to pop that patchbox lid right off. What do ya have to lose ? If it ofsets a lil with the hole you can possibly use a slightly larger screw on the next rifle. Custom Flintlocks & Custom Skinning Knives

Latest posts

Back