• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Confederate Schnider & Glassic .36

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zonie

Moderator Emeritus In Remembrance
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Most of the people who are interested in the Confederate Pistols are familiar with Griswold & Gunnison (Griswoldville, Ga.) who made over 3600 brass framed Colt style pistols. Many also know of Leech & Rigdon (Memphis, Tenn) who is considered the second largest Confederate Pistol Manufacturer.
These pistols were made to a contract which specified the pistol was to be the same as the 1851 Colt Navy.
Although Colts guns were always steel framed, the shortage of iron caused most of the Confederate pistols to have Brass frames. There are even stories about the people melting down the brass church bells to obtain this material for the war effort.

Schnider & Glassic in Memphis, Tenn was one of the few Confederate manufacturers who made brass framed .36 cal. revolvers with the same style of octagon barrel as the Colt. Most Confederate revolvers have a round barrel which reduced the production time.
Schnider & Glassic are believed to have produced 14 guns. (Ref CONFEDERATE ARMS by William A Albaugh III and Edward N. Simmons 1957 pp 21,22)
There are only 2 of their guns known to exist, one an iron frame, and the other a brass framed pistol (ser # 6).

The gun shown below was made from a Dixie "1851 Navy-Brass Frame" kit in the proper .36 caliber. Rather than bluing or browning the gun I chose to bleach it, and do what I could to add some age to its exterior.
After plugging and masking the bore and cylinder bores I applied generous amounts of bleach to the bare steel parts.
The bleach creates deep rust pits in a matter of minutes. Although I steel wooled off the rust and oiled it, it seems to get more aged looking with each passing year.
(This method has been used to Counterfeit guns so beware of going by appearance if you want to buy "an original".)
To reduce the chanch of this being mistaken for an original, although I removed all of the Italian Proof markings, I left the "Black Powder Only" on the side of the barrel.
Just for my own amusment, I stamped my gun with Serial number 7.
schnider36r.jpg

schnider36l.jpg

Zonie - great looking gun but you scare me :haha:

I once decided to age a revolver but it was a Rogers & Spencer .45. My method was a little less scientific than yours... I sealed the bore and cylinders with grease and removed all the markings and internal parts except the hammer. Then I wrapped it in a nylon stocking and buried it in horse manure for several weeks. People asked me where I found it and I said I dug it up in my pasture - but I allways finish the rest of the story. I'll post photos some day. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Something that one might want to remember when aging a revolver is muzzle'wear from the holster... I noticed this on an original, 1858 Remington Army Revolver, that was on display at an old Cavalry Post, near Fort Union, North Dakota,,, while on family vacation with the wife and kids about 5 years ago... I can't remember which side of the muzzle the wear was on however? The Cavalry Post was, Fort Buford, near the confluence of the Missouri and Yellowstone River's....

Great work, Zonie! :applause: Can't be done better.

Maybe there's some newer information about the antique Original. Of little importance, but maybe of interest.

raLGs&gInBox.jpg

I'd believe it's the "Schneider & Glassick" revolver...

raLGs&gName.jpg

... and as far as I know there's different opinions about the producion numbers (min. 14, max. 55) and the surviving originals (2-6)

If this one, for sale at

ReliquesAndAntiques

is no fake, they produced at least more than 14

raLGs&gNumber.jpg

regards

Greenhorn

Greenhorn: You may be right about the number of guns they made. One of the problems with quoting from older books is their numbers may be out of date.
As I mentioned "CONFEDERATE ARMS" is copyrighted in 1957.
The book "CONFEDERATE HANDGUNS" George Shumway, is copyright 1963 and mentions serial number 23, also a brass framed gun. His estimate of the production is 50-55.
"CONFEDERATE REVOLVERS" William A. Gary is copyrighted in 1987, and does not give a production estimate. It does say however that only 3 brass framed Schnider&Glassic guns were known at that time. Serial number 6, 23 and 25. It does not mention the steel framed gun with ser no 12M.

The photo you included is of interest as it shows Serial No 22. which if true would be a new find!
Before anyone gets too charged up they should know that all three authors mentioned above, comment very clearly about the clarity of the "Schnider & Glassic" stamp on the barrel which was made with a single stamp, not a series of individual letters stamped one at a time.
"CONFEDERATE REVOLVERS" shows a very clear picture of this stamping and every letter is shown to be the same depth, evenly spaced and on one smooth line. Also to be noted in the books photo are the Serifs (the little horizontal ends) on each vertical part of each letter show clearly.

It appears to me that the markings in the posts photo are not evenly spaced, nor do they appear to be on one smooth line, the "H" in Schnider looks to be doublestruck and the serif on the lower vertical leg of the R extends on both sides while the serif on the original only points inwardly or to the right.

Far be it from me to say this gun may not be exactly right. Perhaps the factory stamp was worn out or lost when the gun in the post was made. I don't know but I do know that old Confederate guns are just like Shelby Cobras. There seems to be a lot more of them around now than there were when the originals were made.
Thanks for the pictures.

Think you're right, Zonie. There's for sure many on the market that are no "real ones". Even here, in "Old Europe", I met a person that wanted to sell me a brass plated i
Italian replica as a Confederate revolver. Not even the "Blackpowder Only" was removed...

However, here in Austria I'm far away from most good sources, so I depend on WEB and eMail. So I (mis- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif)use sources like this one to learn more, sometimes I'm a little bothersome :winking:

The company's name should have been "Scheider and Glassick". None of my search engines will find anything with the combination "Schnider Glassic", while the other version does not only show articles of this revolvers, but some data about rifles as well...

There's this one about Civil war handguns

http://www.civilwarguns.com/9611.html

then this little text on a site about smallarm manufacturers

http://www.mtsu.edu/~cwtech/smallarm/Schneider.html

and finally the announcement of this book.

http://www.marco2.com/conrevbywilg.html

That is - besides the pics and the link yesterday - really all I can get here. Not too much, I guess...

regards

Greenhorn

Zonie,
I really like the finish you achieved on those revolvers. I didn't know that bleach could do that. In your post you said, "...bleach creates deep rust pits in a matter of minutes.". Does the bleach weaken the metal so much that the revolver is no longer safe to fire? Have you tried bleach on rifle barrels? If it wouldn't ruin a rifle barrel, I might be interested in trying it on one of mine. Thanks!

TexasMLer: Everything is relative, so when I said Deep, it was comparing the results with a nice smooth finished surface.
I would guess deep in this case wouldn't be more than .010.
A rust pit that shallow would not make the gun unsafe to fire. Of course it it happened in a place like the center bore of the cylinder or the cylinder pin it rotates on it would make a big difference.
It would just about ruin a guns bore so if you want to try using bleach, by all means, seal off the bore. If there are screw threads in the area, remove the screw and seal off the hole with something like hot candle wax poured into it.
If you leave a screw in place and the bleach gets down in the threads, you will basically rust the screw in place. For this reason, protect the breech plug threads any way you can.

Zonie,
Thanks for the information! It sure does look good on your revolvers. If I can work up the nerve, I might try it on one of my rifles. ::

I read the Schneider and Glassick postings this evening. There is a very interesting artical on S&G # 22 and # 9 in the November 2003 issue of "The Civil News". The author discuss the barrel markings on number 22. Also number 22 is marked inside the frame as 22m. Number 12 has the barrel markings as individual letters also.
The Albaugh books and other publications now list the known Schneider and Glassick navy type revolvers as numbers, 6, 9, 12m, 22, 23, and 25.
Dan

The publication mentioned in the previous post is listed wrong. It should read " The Civil War News" Sorry about the omission.

Back