• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Conical bullets

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EDP1

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone shoot conicals out of there rifles? And what kind of accuracy can I expect please post pics of rifles and bullets if you have them. I am wanting to try them out of my CVA frontier with 1:48 twist.

I used to have a CVA frontier carbine 1/48 that shot very well with Conicals. Lee REALs is what I used. The heavier of the 2 50 cal REAL. I believe if I remember 320gr. I can post pictures because I got rid of it some time ago. Wish I hadn't though. I showed up at my club to shoot it and got teased quite a bit because of it's size but they quit after they saw how it shot.

I've tinkered with lubricated style and with paper patched cast bullets in .40, .45, .50, .54, .58 and .69 caliber. On a good day the holes touch. On a bad day they don't. All depending on what I'm trying in what rifle which day and whether I'm doing my part.

I only shoot round ball now but when I did my dedicated conical barrel, a 50 caliber Lyman Great Plains Hunter, would make 1 inch groups at 75 yards using 95 grains of 3f Goex and a 250 grain Lee REAL bullet. Recoil was not very pleasant though.

I see conical bullets as hunting bullets, not target bullets. Pad yourself up and sight the gun in, no big deal. Once the rifle is sighted in just wait for opening day. I don't see a need to be shooting hunting loads all the time, just enough to know how they will fly. Use another rifle for target work.

Latest posts

Back