• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Traditions Kentucky and the P.A. Conical

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was a nice day today so I figured I would get the ole Kentucky out and mess with the PA Conical. This bullet was designed for slow round ball twist barrels. The Traditions Kentucky has 1:66 rifling. I fired three strings of 3 shots at 30 yards off the bags with charges of 70, 80, and 90 grains of 3F Graf's Black Powder. I shot at 30 yards as my private range on my property is not that long 40 yards max but your right next to the bushes :D. Needless to say the rifle shot these bullets VERY well. The 90 grain charge performed better than expected. These bullets may become the go to for hunting. And I will get the rifle to the range and fire some groups at 50 yards and see where it prints. The maybe adjust the sights for there. I wonder if anyone makes a mold for something similar to the PA Conical.
P.S. Gotta love them clean holes in the target. They act like a big wad cutter.
KIMG0760.jpg
KIMG0763.jpg
KIMG0764.jpg
KIMG0765.jpg
Probably not , at their price point (cheap) and design knurled to hold lube and fit different bore variations in that caliber it would be difficult to reproduce (knurling and lubing) without spending time better spent shooting
RB with lubed patch . Similar weights /similar results (dead) if done right ! Ed

Thanks. I might try to find a box and give them a go. Nothing wrong with a little more knock down power.
They are killers Tim. I've shot them right over the powder for a bit of practice, but put a small cotton ball under a .50 card to keep the lube from fouling the powder when hunting. Accuracy is the same. I took 2 deer for my 1st ML season with them [last fall], and my grandson took another. Two decent does and my nicest buck yet.
I don't notice any more fouling with Hornady's sticky lube. But I always swipe between shots. I leave their lube alone, unless it is in the base. I think it's purpose is to keep the conical from walking down the barrel while you hunt. I have checked for movement quite a few times with my 2 Traditions Hawkins [48 twists] and they haven't budged during some long hunts.
They expand enough to do some decent tissue damage, but all 3 have been pass throughs, which I like.
If they are accurate in your rifle, I think you will like them. The 3 deer were taken at 35, 65 and 80 yards.
I thought a bit more knockdown would be good too, because some of my hunting is near private property where recovery could be a pain if they scamper too far.
I purchased mine from Midway. They are usually in stock.
A .54 PA Conical would be an absolute hammer. Hornady needs to get on it for the .54 crowd.
SW

Back