• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Conicals for a .54 Deerstalker?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flteng

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I just tried out my new .54 deerstalker. I like that gun! So far 80 grs of 3f BP seems to be the load it likes for PRB. In the interest of saving money and trying many different types of conicals what bullet do you use out of yours? This isn't my first rodeo with BP I know all about the twist and what works with different twist rates. I am currently working with the Great Plains bullets, maxi hunters I've never been able to get to fly right out of anything and may try maxi balls next. I'll be hunting wild pigs with this rifle with the occasional deer most likely max range 75-100 yds. So what load works for you?

My wife's 54 Deerstalker really likes the Great Plains too, but she doesn't! :rotf: Too much geewhiz on the back end for her taste, even if it is super accurate over 80 grains of Goex 3f with a lubed felt wad between it and the powder. The LEE REAL is almost as good with the same combo, but I never had much luck getting either TC pill to shoot from it.

I have a .50 cal Deerstalker and I bought a few cast REALs to see if it was worthwhile.

I haven't worked on an accurate load yet as I'm not quite done breaking it in (though it's likely ready to move on by now ~150-175 shots now) so I've been using an arbitrary 70 grn 3F charge of Pyrodex.

I used this same charge with a REAL and at 50 yds it was waaaaay right and appeared to have keyholes. I had some felt wads and tried that and the next two shots were nearly POA and right next to each other.

I had used a twist rate calculator and measured a REAL and it came up as 1:48" ideal twist.

If you try a REAL you may want to have some wads too.

I get good results out of the 300 gr real in pure lead lubed with beeswax/alox with a cardboard over powder. For target shooting I use 55 gr. For hunting I use 85 gr. I have ran it up to 110gr and accuracy stays good enough for hunting but the power really is not needed.

Back