• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Conicals in round ball twist barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Halleck Mountain rifle.50 is 66" twist but I have three types of conicals to try. Anyone have any accuracy with these? Lee Real 350 gr. T/C maxi 370 gr. and T/C hunter 320 gr. The round balls work great in the Halleck, the CVA mountain and my Hatfield long rifle but looking for more power at 75 yards. :confused:

Ive rarely had any problem useing short cons out of the 66 twist(shorter the better and the speed of it has a lot to do with it,fastis good!) the REAL 250 is very good,and the 320grs works good in a 66 twist Mowrey,as does CVAs Deerslayer(but I hope everyone is boycotting any CVA thing right now like me didnt know I had so much stuffby them)I dont know if its the lands or pitch or just what but one rifle will shoot short cons and another wont, just try a box at a time bumping up your powder 5 or 10 grs at a time youll find one that works really good. Good luck and shooting Fred

I've been shooting Hornady PA conicals as a hunting load from my GPR ( 1 in 60 barrel, if memory serves ). They've been just fine with 70 gr. of FFFg pushing out their 240 gr.s. Lots of "uumph" out to 75', and beyond. Also, they can be had for as little as 13 cents per from some places, and they come in a convenient 50 rd. box.

Back