• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Conicals & Rate of Twist in TC Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:confused: charles...what powder charge for the 350 gr. maxi hunters...?
runner...my renegade is a tack driver with rb... :thumbsup:

Marc Adamchek said:
Does anyone know the twist in a TC Hawken? I can't find it anywhere in the manual. Is it 1-48?
Also, does anyone have experience shooting conicals through a TC Hawken? If so, what kind, and how did they perform?
I've intentionally stayed out of this discussion because I know without a doubt that TC 1:48" shoot RB''s very accurately, but didn't want to be the only voice saying so...and the responses to your post overwhelming verify the fact...so the correct deductions are obvious

Watch for this same pattern whenever this question comes up in the future...virtually everyone knows that they shoot RB's accurately, and there's always an individual who claims that they don't...it's simply an old wives tale that certain individuals like to repeat ad nauseum, fortunately with no effect.

Enjoy your 1:48"...they're excellent.

I use 90 grains of Pyrodex RS for deer and 100 grains with MaxiHunters for elk or for deer in more open areas where longer shots are a possibliity. I prefer heavier 370 grain MaxiBalls for elk. I have found that heavy loads of Pyrodex can cause gas cutting of the base of a bullet. Pyrodex appears to burn hotter than real BP altho I have no way to measure that. Soft airgun lead MaxiBalls I cast are particularly bad in my rifle. I buy prelubed MaxiHunters from Wal Mart. I inspect bullets that I shoot into a soft berm for cutting. If I find any I use Ox-Yoke wads under that bullet for that load.

To push a round ball faster, slower twist is required. If the 1:48 is not pushed beyond RB velocity design, it does very well indeed.

Many of the Brit gun makers used a faster twist with lower velocity, they also utilized large calibers to compensate. The English rifles using a fast twist within their limitations were superbly accurate.

True, I usually use 60 grains of powder for round balls and get satisfactory accuracy. I guess for a hot round ball hunting load it might be better to try a slow twist barrel. I haven't really tried heavy loads with round balls in my 1 in 48 inch twist barrel since I only hunt with bullets. For me shooting round balls is more for fun killing of tin cans.

I am working backwards from fast or 48 towards the roundball and have found some cool loads. The 320g REAL bullet shoots real good in this twist as does the 300g ballet. I find both better than the maxiball (370g) for paper but have no game data for you. The ballet has a better bc than the REAL but the real is very accurate. If you don't cast the only people I know that make them is Blackjack Hill. Musketman has a link for them.

Back