• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Coning tool

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Musketman,.... but thet ain't quite what I was look'n for!! ::

Somewhers (long ago) I had an address thet sold "coning tools" in various caliburs. I'd like to "cone" the muzzle of one'a my rifles. I've also seen "directions" somewhers for fellas wish'n to make ther own "coning tools". (cain't 'member wher I seen thet either)

Take my advice Musketman,... and don't ever git "old", 'cause ya won't be able to remember "nuthin"!!
Now!!.. what was I "need'n"??.. and wher was I?? ::

See, now if you said CROWNING tools, I would have got that place for you...

I'm old, we called the muzzle taper a crown in my day... ::

I'm glad you found what you need...

Musketman,.... My muzzle's already "crowned", now I wanna "cone" it so's I can thumb-start my balls. :)

Musketman,.... Coning was done for many years, and the "taper" is 'bout 1 1/2" long, it eliminates the need for a short-starter as the patched ball can be easyly thumb-started.

I guess, I ain't familiar with T/C's new QLA Muzzle System (whatever thet is)!!

Rollingb,
I have one over at the shop ( If I can find it)
A guy came into the shop and wanted to know why his gun wouldn't shoot anymore. He had coned the barrel with this tool and removed more off one side than the other.
I cut off the bad part, set his site backin and took the tool off him so he wouldn't screw it up again.
I'll be glad to let you use it............. ::
graydog

Graydog,.... Is the tool one of Joe's from the Firelock Shop??
I thot they were supposed to be "fool-proof"!! (least 'til I git one in "my" hands, thet is!! ::)

ask cut-fingers what he dun on fer a nephew
ask.?dont ask. find out. try it yer-self $40.
truth. rite r wrong,,shootr dont,.
?, hav ya heard what not too? hhmm,hint.
ez.k?

sorry Claude/Mr Mathis,,that was fer rollinb he'll know,

What I said was,,has anyone heard of it not working?

coning work's well. Short of poor craftsmenship,yet the same poor handling can be found with cleaning,,
I ain't no good at spellin,and I ain't gonna mix words.coning,conning r ,heck I know what a crown is,,an we know what thumb startin a ball is,,simple as that

Well I placed my "order" for'a Fireshop coning-tool. Joe said it'd be in the mail tommorow morn'n. (heck!!.. I ain't even sent tha money yet!!) ::

Yep!!... The directions Joe sent by e-mail, says to use the "thin" carpet tape. I'm gonna make some phone calls to try'n locate some!!
I hope to have the "tape" and the different "grits" of 3M Tri-M-Ite "wet or dry" on hand, when the tool gits here. :D

I had a heck of a time finding some...Joe said try Home Depot
they didn.t carry it nor Lowels...I think I found it at Ace hardware.I did a search on the internet for DUCK brand tape
they show who carries it .
as a side note he sends a pattern along with the tool.I made up one out of thin brass stock and marked the size on each one(.32,36,40,45,50,54)keeps you from getting mixed up.

Joe also mentions Wal-Mart probly carrys the tape, I'll call ther, if nobuddy around here has it,... might haft'a drive 150 miles round-trip, to git tha stuff. ::

If you can't find dbl. side tape you can get a spray adhesive like 3M makes. I use it when I make a polishing block. Spray it on the back of your paper and stick it on.graydog

Back