• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

consolation prize

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George

Cannon
Reaction score
I haven't hunted turkeys since 2003, but talking with all the BP nuts on this forum got me fired up for it this fall. Kentucky's early fall season opened this morning, so I was sitting under a tree when the sun came up, whistling for a turkey. They don't always come when called, of course, and they didn't this morning. My place doesn't have a big population, but I had chased 4 from their roost on a squirrel hunt a month ago, so I thought maybe....'twas not to be. Maybe later in the week. By 10:00 I packed it in, but I had a Plan B. I had brought along my Phillips 20 ga. double flint shotgun for a little squirrel hunting, just in case. Our area is having a severe draught, and the ground is covered with crunchy, dry leaves. Most of the foliage is gone, so squirrels can see you for a mile. The wind was blowing a steady 10-12 mph in spite of a prediction of nothing but light winds, and everything was moving. I hate hunting squirrels in the wind. I skulked along, mumbling about how rotten the conditions were, got tired of hearing myself crunch leaves and sat down on a dead log. Almost immediately a big fox squirrel showed up 30 yards away and heading in my direction. It stopped at 25 yards to munch on a nut and I took the shot. That gun hadn't been fired since 1992, but ignition was so fast it startled me. Down it came, instant dead, a big fat, healthy sow. I love hunting squirrels in the wind.

This shotgun has Cochran locks, and they have always been among the fastest I own. I was shooting 60 gr. FFFg Goex and 1 oz. of #5 shot. Good medicine for squirrels in this gun.

Phillips_fox1.jpg

Spence

:applause: Way to go Spence!

Glad to hear you are up and at 'em!

I went looking for turkeys this afternoon in steady winds here. I spied three jakes upon ascending the backside of a rise in a hayfield. My luck was they were unaware that I was in the world as I quickly became prone! I had two choices the way I saw it. First would be to lay as I was and start calling and quickly shoot the first red head to show above the rise as they would show no farther than about 15 yards as I was positioned. Option two (which I chose) was to retreat about 40 yards and set out my dummy hen and cozy up to a fat beech tree.

Several yelps later, here they came! The trio approached to thirty yards and eyeballed my "hen". Then it happened. They drew a line in the sand (hayfield?). Ah, the joys of unchoked frontloader hunting! :rotf:

The good news is I had a wonderful day ,AND, I get to hunt them again!

Good luck Spence! Keep us posted and congrats on your sow!

Skychief :bow:

Back