• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Contract M1816 with British Tower lock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
On one of the auction sites is what is described as an 1821 built M1816 contract musket. It seems like it could be a contract 1816 pattern in all respects, other than having a Tower marked lock. Not a Bess lock though. The lock plate vaguely resembles an 1816, but the flintcock and frizzen/pan are totally different. It is marked with the crown, but lacks the cypher of a monarch. The description isn't much of one. It could be all bunk.

From the description: "...This was contract built for the Massachusetts Militia using various parts including the “Tower” marked lock (though it is not a British Tower lock- it was labeled as such in order to be qualified for use in the production of these muskets)...." Excuse me, come again?

1729945406321.png

1729945425671.png

1729945460031.png

1729945488632.png

1729945510442.png

1729945555559.png

I'm not bidding on this, just curious as to its origins. I have never seen anything like this. Very nicely built, whatever it is. Is it a legitimate contract gun that never saw service? Is it period built from parts? Is it modern built from parts?

What thinks ye?

Parts gun. Reused P1809 Bess lock, early M1816 trigger guard and stock (pre 1819). Yeah that description you quoted is pure bunk. The US and various state governments had no qualms at all of reusing any and all serviceable musket parts.
The US Government even bought at least 9,500 commercial P1793 muskets from England prior to the 1812 war. I would guess this lock is from a captured musket from that war.

Thanks for the reply Clark.

So you’re saying this is a period built musket that was contracted here in the states using available parts, built for lower level militia use?
It certainly is a possibility. It could be just a throw together to sell to the public. I would not be uncomfortable with thinking it very well could be a state contracted militia musket.

Latest posts

Back