• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

convert from cap to flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello

I have a 50 cal traditions hawken. What would i have to do to convert to flint. Retired looking for something to do

standstall

It can be done, but it is not for the faint of heart. T/C guns have patent breeches which means that the percussion bolster is built into the breech. The breech is likely built with a chamber smaller than the bore diameter to give some more room for the threads. You will need to buy a replacement lock to get the lock plate, frizzen and hammer. I know that there are reports of people grinding down the bolster to create the touch hole. Of course you will have to tap the touch hole for a vent liner. The difficult part is to get the touch hole to line up with the pan. The only flint replacement barrels are for the T/C Hawken and Renegade. I'm not sure of the fit on your rifle.

I don't want to be down on your conversion, but it might be far easier and gentler on your retirement to get a flintlock rifle and spend your time shooting!

One of our club members bought a Traditions flinter, and had some much trouble trying to get it fire,many, many flashes in the pan. He gave up on it and converted it to caplock.
IIRC the problem is the vent and the breechplug alignment ?
Cheers Teach

You probably can remove the nipple drum and replace with a vent liner of the same metric thread, then order a flint lock to replace the percussion lock, but I think you'd be ahead to sell that rifle and buy a flinter. The style of that rifle is really not right for flint anyhow.

I must stand corrected. I was thinking of a different style rifle. There are several styles of drum on Traditions rifles. All sorts of warnings abound with respect to voiding any known warranty if you remove the drum. Okay, that said, what does it take to remove the drum. If you are lucky, the drum is threaded into the wall of the barrel. Some of the rifle drums will be threaded into the breech plug and become part of the breech. The through breech style of drum is much more difficult to convert.

In my case, I owned a cheap percussion CVA/Traditions Kentucky pistol and I had a CVA flint lock. The drum was easy enough to remove. The thread size for the drum was a most uncommon 9 mm diameter bolt. I had to turn down a 10 mm diameter bolt and then cut the threads. I drilled an inside chamber in the liner and drilled the touch hole after I had the lock in place. It does fire reliably.

Latest posts

Back