• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

converting a Percussion DGW Tenn Mtn to Flint

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blapp86

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I had a question concerning the Dixie Gun Works Tennessee Mtn Rifle, I have one in percussion and wanted to convert to a Flintlock I know TOW has a lock that will work but what I needed to know is what size Flash Holes, vent liners would I need I asked the Customer service and they were not sure Has anyone converted one to flint and know what size and the best place to get this item?
Also I see these locks are in plain unfinished metal what would be the best process to get the patina done to match.

Thanks for any information

Hi,
I did just what you are contemplating quite awhile back. Maybe 25 years back or so.
At that time DGW had everything needed in a kit.
And the flintlock was a good one. Not junk, but well made.
I can understand whay someone would want to be sure and get a quality flintlock. I think TOW gets those locks from L&R. Not sure.
But I would check Dixie first. They might still have what you need. Lock, touch hole liner, etc.
And you wouldnt need to be concerned of getting quality flintlock, as long as they are still the ones they had before.
It's good to hear of those guns still being used. That was my first blackpowder rifle. To be honest I tried "moving up" to better quality rifles, custom built, etc. Well, they might have looked better, but I really can't say I've had a better functional rifle than my good old DGW Poor Boy. I competed in many a match back then and did just as well with it as anything since, at allot more cost.
Good luck.
Brad Foust

Blapp86 said:
I had a question concerning the Dixie Gun Works Tennessee Mtn Rifle, I have one in percussion and wanted to convert to a Flintlock I know TOW has a lock that will work but what I needed to know is what size Flash Holes, vent liners would I need I asked the Customer service and they were not sure Has anyone converted one to flint and know what size and the best place to get this item?
Also I see these locks are in plain unfinished metal what would be the best process to get the patina done to match.

Thanks for any information

I'm pretty sure it's 5/16x24.

Duane

Its 5/16x24 but its really high, I converted mine a few months ago but found that the touch hole was high and rear of the pan on the L&R RPL lock. Lock is pretty nice and fit with a little inletting, but I'd put it on then figure out where you want your vent, any maybe pick up a 3/8 wight lightening liner in case you need to move it a bit.

Thanks everyone
all of your answers were a lot of help
I did look up at Dixie and saw the size is what you said I will have to get the lock and test it with where the touch hole will be
I guess that L&R is close but not exactly the same as the one offered originally for Dixie form what you are saying

Back