• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

converting older tc renegade to flintlock??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddog2

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Boys, I was in my local gun shop, and spotted 2 older tc renegade 54 cal. percussion rifles. You could tell they were older rifles, that had been used, but didn't look too bad. Price was cheap, $125/each.

Got me to thinking[dangerous :grin: ]. Could the lock and drum assembly be removed, and flint lock be installed, without breaking the bank? Dixie gun works has a L&R tc replacement lock for sale [costs more than the rifle]. How tough to put in a vent liner and install the lock. I'm thinking I want it for deer hunting, having never killed a deer with a flinter. Your thoughts, please.

maddog2

All of the T/C I have seen are of the snail breech plug type. And would require a completely new breech in order to convert to convert from cap to flint lock.

The Gun Works lists aftermarket replacement flint breeches for TCs. From the pic it looks like drum rather than snail, but I'm assuming that would allow you to make any adjustments to line up with a replacement lock. At $30.75, it's sure worth a call for more details.

Track of the Wolf also offers TC style breech plugs..

Someone cut a snail off a patent breach, drilled and tapped the flash channel and installed a drum. Believe it was written about on this forum.

Yes, they can be converted without a new breechplug. Myself and a couple others converted percussion TCs to flintlock, by cutting off the snail, plugging the flash channel, filing flat, and drilling a new vent. There is a thread in the gun builders forum on this procedure with pictures.

Back