• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Copy of an original blunderbuss

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Back in 2016 I was commissioned to build a brass barreled blunderbuss. Here is the link to the original posts

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/blunderbuss.103402/

The fellow who I made this for has contacted me again about a smaller version. He happened across an original blunderbuss that was significantly smaller and lighter than then one I built for him in the link above. Here are some details:

Brass cannon barrel 12.5” long with clear proof & view marks and engraved “LONDON”
Brass mounts in good condition
Lock is marked “NICHOLSON” and is in excellent working condition
Back of the lock marked “IW”
Excellent wood, no cracks and no missing pieces
Bore is ~ 7 gauge ( ~0.9”)

The owner has asked me to make a near bench copy of it. Of course, the barrel is the hardest part to duplicate and I am heading toward machining it myself from bar stock. However, before I get started I wanted to ask this knowledgeable community for an assessment of this piece. This is really the very first original firearm that I have handled directly and it appears to be in excellent condition….at least to my untrained eye.

Back in 2016 I was commissioned to build a brass barreled blunderbuss. Here is the link to the original posts

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/blunderbuss.103402/

The fellow who I made this for has contacted me again about a smaller version. He happened across an original blunderbuss that was significantly smaller and lighter than then one I built for him in the link above. Here are some details:

Brass cannon barrel 12.5” long with clear proof & view marks and engraved “LONDON”
Brass mounts in good condition
Lock is marked “NICHOLSON” and is in excellent working condition
Back of the lock marked “IW”
Excellent wood, no cracks and no missing pieces
Bore is ~ 7 gauge ( ~0.9”)

The owner has asked me to make a near bench copy of it. Of course, the barrel is the hardest part to duplicate and I am heading toward machining it myself from bar stock. However, before I get started I wanted to ask this knowledgeable community for an assessment of this piece. This is really the very first original firearm that I have handled directly and it appears to be in excellent condition….at least to my untrained eye.

Here are a few more photos......

Latest posts

Back