• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

HOW TO MAKE A Corncob Pipe

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Well not a bent stem Churchwarden, but a long stem.

Tired of snapping the stem on your pipe. Want something durable and inexpensive? Corncob pipes are only documented to the 19th century due to artwork, and perhaps some journals, but the materials were available in the 18th and 17th century, and farther back so...,

Get some of the small, Missouri Meerschaum pipes, that I guess the pot-heads like to sometimes use. These are small by comparison to other corncobs used for pipes BUT over time the size of the cob has been increased by selective breeding, so this size is historically right...

PHOTO 8.jpg

Cut off the stem at the corncob. I used the saw blade on my Swiss Army Knife. Be gentle and let the blade do the work.

PHOTO 7.jpg
PHOTO 6.jpg

Once the stem is off you need to enlarge the hole for the stem using the leather awl. Do Not remove the wooden piece glued into the pipe, just enlarge the hole in that piece. IF it comes loose, a little Titebond Wood Glue will glue it back, let it dry for 24 hours, and continue.

PHOTO 5.jpg

Now get a stem. Unpainted, natural reeds for tomato stakes are fine. Get them on Amazon if you can't find them this late in the year from the hardware store. You need to cut a piece between the reed "knuckles" and then use a coat hanger to push out the pith to get a hollow tube...

PHOTO 4.jpg

Using your knife, or perhaps with a hand-held pencil sharpener and the knife, sharpen one end into a point...

PHOTO 3.jpg

Now insert the point and push and twist slightly for it to grab onto the corncob. Put the stem into your mouth and cover the bowl to test for seal. Fill, light, and smoke. No it's not as long a smoke as you'd get from a clay, and the bowl doesn't get hot like a clay. However, you will burn out the bowl through regular use (so buy several of the foundation pipes to make replacements). Disassemble the pipe when not in use, and you will never snap the stem and ruin the pipe.

PHOTO 1.jpg

ENJOY FOLKS

LD

When taking my fall walks I used to grab an ear of corn, cut it to length, hollow out the pith to depth, break off a hollow stem of golden rod bore a hole in the cob, stick the stem in there and complete my walk with a soothing smoke.
Robin

Latest posts

Back