• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tumbling balls in soapy water

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As you stated it is because you got nothing to do, tumble away! If graphite was messy it is because you put too much. A tiny bit is all you need and let the balls impregnated each other, no pun intended. I experimented tumbling and not tumble, ten each on a mesh over a coffee can half full of water. After 45 days or so, the tumbled with graphite looked as placed, the non tumble were white with oxidation. I have also experimented with Lee Alox, same results! If tumble right they should look like the attached picture!

Attachments

• IMG_1027.jpeg
    IMG_1027.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
I don't see any gain in tumbling the balls, but just dipping them in soapy water and letting them dry, leaves a surface coating that will prevent oxidation.
I don’t either why go through unnecessary steps when there not needed, I am sure our ML ancestors didn’t shake ,stir , tumble or roll, LOL..

As you stated it is because you got nothing to do, tumble away! If graphite was messy it is because you put too much. A tiny bit is all you need and let the balls impregnated each other, no pun intended. I experimented tumbling and not tumble, ten each on a mesh over a coffee can half full of water. After 45 days or so, the tumbled with graphite looked as placed, the non tumble were white with oxidation. I have also experimented with Lee Alox, same results! If tumble right they should look like the attached picture!

I just retired this year from a job that was 7 days a week 12 hours a day. Until summer hit I was fishing and shooting hogs but the 100 degree weather pushed me indoors. I built 5 Kibler kits and have cast 20 pounds of balls this year and the tumbling is just something to kill time until the heat breaks

That’s fine it does get boring some times being pushed inside because of the weather, I just do not like shooting when the humidity is through the roof and sweat is dripping off of you it’s just not fun at all. I had made this remark some time ago and someone told me to man up on this site but if that’s somebody’s idea of being a man they need to reevaluate there mind set, go figure there’s always one ya know.

I don't think a bit of darkening on them affects the performance at all. A reference to a Rev War battle down South tells of couple young men melting down Pewter in order to cast musket balls! One was 'caught' with the mold in his pocket!

when i was in jr. high school here in the south we integrated with black people. we had never been around them or them us. well, it was fist fights from day one! every day! one day a big black boy from over at the high school came over to fight! he looked like mike Tyson! he tried to square off with a skinny white kid named Kelly. Kelly begged him like a dog not to hit him! when the mike Tyson lookalike said OK white boy i will let you off the hook this time, and then he dropped his hands and guard, i found out what cleaning balls was all about! Kelly kicked him in them like a punter for the LA rams! he went to his knees with big tears rolling down his face! and shock and awe on his expression! Kelly circled him like prey! slowing walking around him sadistically looking him up and down, then he grabbed him in a headlock and beat his face to a bloody pulp! the whole time saying i got you now &&^%$ and left him in a puddle of blood, clean balls and all! you did not mess with Kelly,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Sounds like a story to me,......

For those who can actually measure it, what is the accuracy difference between tumbled vs. non? Is the juice worth the squeeze? I could care less about appearance.
In my opinion, the accuracy difference between tumbled and non-tumbled round balls is generally negligible, and empirical evidence on the subject is kind of lacking. I do recall reading an article in which a couple of guys did extensive testing and claimed to have found that tumbled balls resulted in an ever-so-slight increase in accuracy when shot from a rifle, but it was nothing to write home about. Oddly enough, they claimed a decrease in accuracy when using the tumbled balls in a smoothbore.

In any case, tumbling can smooth out minor imperfections, but for most shooters, this won’t translate into a noticeable improvement in accuracy, especially if the non-tumbled round balls are already of good quality and consistent weight. If you’re not concerned with aesthetics and your round balls are casting cleanly, tumbling might not be “worth the squeeze.” The key factors for accuracy (insofar as projectiles are concerned) are consistent weight and diameter… so as long as those are in check, tumbling is more about refinement than performance.

The old timers and purists will likely balk and give you a hard time for suggesting this, so prepare yourself for some razzing!

Last edited:
I’ll add that while tumbling your round balls won’t magically turn you into a sharpshooting legend, if polishing them to a mirror shine so you can admire your rugged reflection gives you some twisted joy, then by all means, have at it! You’ll at least have the satisfaction of knowing your hat is perfectly cocked and your whiskers are on point every time you load up.

Last edited:
For those who can actually measure it, what is the accuracy difference between tumbled vs. non? Is the juice worth the squeeze? I could care less about appearance.
Well, in the case of working up a load for smoothbore accuracy I think it is, based on my own personal experience.
Robin

Latest posts

Back