• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Correct shot load...?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi friends,
I am planning on using my 20Ga Fowler this year for spring gobbler. It's a 48" Ed Rail 20 ga barrel on a fowler made by Ken Netting of Ohio.
I have fired it with #6 shot aomewhat at clay birds, and some tryinging to develope a load for turkey, but nothing serious.
I had been using 75 GR 2FF powder and an equal volume of shot, + a little more, maybe another quarter measure of shot. Also, I have some larger, approx #2 size irregular shaped lead from fired pellet gun range that I add maybe a dozen of to the load.
But it's all guess work. Sometimes I get a nice pattern, sometimes too tite, others too loose.
I been using regular purchased wads that I split enough off of to use a thin pc as an over shot wad.
But just hoping someone might have an official tried and rue load that I could try??
I think maybe the 75 gr of powder is a little tooo strong to begin with??
Thanks

I use that load in my 12 ga. I think you might get better patterns by cutting down the powder to 65-70 grs.

I don't know what pellets for air guns are made of but wouldn't use them if they're not all-lead .. certainly not in a nice fowler. I've seen some that were off-color .. don't know what they're made of.

The pellets are real soft lead. Seem softer than actual shot. I dont think they will harm the barrel.
I just add them for added "kill" power, I hope.
And I been thinking of trying a little lighter load like you are suggesting. Just seems alittle too much.
How much shot should I use if I go with 70 Gr.????
I have heard equal volume, but that dont seem like quite enough.
Thanks

For turkey in my 20 ga. cylinder bore trade gun I use 75 gr. 3f with hard over powder card, 1/2 prelubed fiber wad, 1 1/8 oz. #4 shot (cannot be larger than #4 for turkey in Michigan), topped off by thin overshot card. Have taken several turkeys with this load, just let 'em get in to less than 25 yards.

For trap shooting I use almost the same load, the change is 7/8 oz. of #7 1/2 shot.

#5 lead shot is a good investment for everything 20 ga., however, I would indeed be using #4 shot for turkey. I put 3" Mag. nickel-plated #4 in my smokeless 20 ga. for them...

80 grains of 3f powder with #4 shot in a candle cartridge. The first half of the article is of historical interest but the last half is where the most useful information will be found. Crisco with bees wax mixed to your preferred thickness will be your best choice for making the candle cartridges. http://www.muzzleloadingshotguns.com/articles/candlecartridges

Last edited by a moderator:
At black powder ranges, #6 shot will go completely through a turkeys head. Larger shot is just not needed. At 25 yards or less; #7 1/2 shot will penetrate ok with a proper powder charge. Might be a better choice for 20 gauge cylinder bore.
Smaller shot gives you more chance of hitting the brain or spine. I've killed a dozen turkeys with black powder, using #6 shot. Never had one get away.

You might want to try 7.5 size shot as with the your open choked gun you will be limited to range like around 25 yards. I've killed plenty of birds with that size shot and one with #8 shot. Don't let the key boad shooters tell ya you need #4 sized shot cause ya don't.

Thanks so much to all.
Just to mention......
I didnt mention my 20 Ga fowler is cylinder bore, NO choke.
Finally, when you say 1-1/4 OZ?? What might that be in volume?
I dont have a scale.
Thanks

Bigmon said:
Thanks so much to all.
Just to mention......
I didnt mention my 20 Ga fowler is cylinder bore, NO choke.
Finally, when you say 1-1/4 OZ?? What might that be in volume?
I dont have a scale.
Thanks

The volume measurement will alter depending on shot size.

Try and get a shot shell with the same size you wish to use and load weight, salvage the shot and make a measure from the case you took the shot from. Trim the case down to the height of the shot.

B :thumbsup:

Back