• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

corrosion by breech

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buggybuilder

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I aquired a .45 T/C barrel that has alot of corrosion where the nippple screws in.
T/C wants $85 to put a new breech plug in. Can't really afford that at this time. The breech seems okay because even the clean out screw come out.
The nipple threads in and seems only a little loose as it starts..........after its started it seems okay, but I want it safe.
Can I put a heli-coil in like some manufacturers and if so, where could I buy one.Any suggestions?
Thanks

To really be honest, T/C wants $85 to make the gun safe. Have you priced the trip to the emergency room or a funeral lately?

I would either spend $85 or put the gun up till I could afford the repairs.

Kind of like a break job on your car?
Do you spend the money if you cannot do the repairs yourself?

RDE

Can you tell if the problem is for sure the breech threads or the nipple threads? you will need a new nipple anyway If you have not tried that I woud see what s new one fitted like, if there is any doubt the cost is well worth the peice of mind for you and those around you when shooting.

You say there is corrosion at the breech/nipple area....is it just cosmetic? What makes you think the drum isn't safe? Have you tried a new nipple in the drum? If you are uncertain about any of these things, I would let T/C check it out.

nipples are available from log cabin or other sources that are .005 or .010 oversized threads.
If the nipple being a little loose is the only problem an oversized nipple would be perfectly safe.If there are more serious problems the money for a new breech would be well spent for safety.

The breech and drum only have cosmetic corrosion.
It's the nipple that seems a little loose.
How do I contact Log Cabin for oversized nipples?

dustystones said:
The breech and drum only have cosmetic corrosion.
It's the nipple that seems a little loose.
How do I contact Log Cabin for oversized nipples?
First of all, are you sure the nipple in the gun now is the correct size? Someone may have screwed the wrong size nipple in there before you got the barrel.

It may be as simple as the wrong nipple. T/C guns take a nipple with 1/4x28 thread. People sometimes will run a metric nipple 6x.75mm thread which is very loose in a 1/4x28 hole. I'd just get a new nipple, being sure it is 1/4x28 thread. If that is loose then you do have a problem.

A 1/4" fine thread bolt is the same thread. Get one at any hardware store and see how it threads in, If the bolt is tight get a new nipple ,If its loose get an oversize one.

Stubert said:
A 1/4" fine thread bolt is the same thread. Get one at any hardware store and see how it threads in, If the bolt is tight get a new nipple ,If its loose get an oversize one.
Excellent idea! This would tell you right away what your next course of action should be.

dustystones said:
I aquired a .45 T/C barrel that has alot of corrosion where the nippple screws in.
T/C wants $85 to put a new breech plug in. Can't really afford that at this time. The breech seems okay because even the clean out screw come out.
The nipple threads in and seems only a little loose as it starts..........after its started it seems okay, but I want it safe.
Can I put a heli-coil in like some manufacturers and if so, where could I buy one.Any suggestions?
Thanks
What is the barrel like internally?
I would rig away to proof it using a percussion cap out of the stock and see if it will stand a ball weight of powder and 2 balls.
If I see a ML with rust around the nipple I figure is a tent stake.
Dan

Back