• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Broken ram rod

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a lot of room 'under' the nipple ti get enough powder to blow it...is it charged or were you cleaning when it broke?

I bought a T C with a broken ram rod all way to the breech, I have in the past made a grease fitting adapter and pushed out stuck balls with a grease gun, I am thinking about putting a small charge of 4f where the nipple goes and fire it, any of you ever did this?

I wouldn’t fire the gun with the rammer in it, breech plugs are threaded for a reason, so they can be removed, while it may work, it can also do some harm, and i wouldn’t make practice of it.

Remove the breech plug, and tap out the rod, reinstall breech plug, it’s as easy as that.

I bought it this way I have measured and looked with bore scope am sure it’s a patch and was broken during cleaning. As far as removing breech plug from my experience sometimes it can be a bugger to get out but if have to will do
Thanks

With the nipple out I'd take a wire, pipe cleaners, picks, whatever to try and break up and clean any junk that may be in there, flush with some alcohol or other solvent. Blow it out and dry well. Add your powder (not much), nipple and it should shoot out. Six of one and half a dozen of the other as to what potentially will cause your barrel any harm....shooting it out or pulling the breech plug. On my gun I know I'd never want to pull the plug. I've dribbled powder before and never hurt the gun to get various stuff out of the barrel. Grease idea is the safest but will only work if the obstruction does not allow any leakage. Good luck!

Last edited:
I bought a T C with a broken ram rod all way to the breech, I have in the past made a grease fitting adapter and pushed out stuck balls with a grease gun, I am thinking about putting a small charge of 4f where the nipple goes and fire it, any of you ever did this?
I shot a broken jag out and it worked like a charm. You shouldn't have any problem shooting it out. It doesn't take much powder to get it out.

Ramrods don’t just end up ‘broken all the way to the breech’, whatever that means. What does the individual that sold you the gun in this condition have to say about the issue?

Any idea of what may be under the broken ram rod? A blackpowder load? A smokeless load? Think before you just add some 4F and fire it, hoping for the best.

I would feel best using compressed air or grease, but maybe I’m just too careful with guns I own. That said, have at it with the 4F and report back. You have eight fingers, two thumbs and two eyes. What could possibly go wrong that you couldn’t recover from?
The import ramen dowels WILL break in odd places. Good reason to stick with hickory.

Back