• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cotton Gloves For Handling Originals?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All museum items regardless of actual age or if they are true artifacts or recreations of artifacts, should be held with care, reverence and while wearing gloves.
It doesn't matter if an item in a collection isn't fragile enough to warrant it.
It is good form. If a curator is in the habit of always putting on the gloves instead of selectively doing so then there will be no issues.

I'm of 2 minds on this subject, as a former docent of 2 museums:
1. Irreplaceable artifacts & firearms/relics "of great value" should always be protected, including being seldom handled & only then with gloves.
(For example, the Ames "presentation" saber from The Battle of Shiloh of TWBTS that is "in my possession" is "cased" & even I don't handle it often.)
2. Weapons/relics/artifacts that are NOT so rare, as to be suitable for general use, need NOT be handled with gloves.

yours, satx

I am told that some museums seal the display cases with a gas that prevents the weapons from rusting.

Tell you what. If it weren't for the impending snow storm, I would drive on over to the NRA headquarters museum and ask them what they recommend. Good excuse to visit, anyway. If you get a chance to, yourself, I recommend a large bib to keep the drool off your shirt front. :)

Yea, here is a video of him. The video itself is pretty interesting as well.
[youtube]kZVux0mXUWo[/youtube]

Yankin' your chain floats my boat and in turn, I do all the floatin' of Patti's boat. :blah:

Well, looks like I might be wrong on this one- those sure look like regular old white cotton gloves.

Here I am with Jim Bridger's Hawken at the Montana Historical Society Museum in Helena last September. Clean white cotton gloves.

Huh- See roundball's post of the documentary video of Lewis and Clark's air rifle in the National Firearms Museum. Senior Curator Phil Shreier is handling a national treasure without the white gloves...

Herb said:
Huh- See roundball's post of the documentary video of Lewis and Clark's air rifle in the National Firearms Museum. Senior Curator Phil Shreier is handling a national treasure without the white gloves...
I noticed that too...and I'd have to watch it again to be sure...but I thought I later heard him say that was an identical replica that had been made.
:hmm:
Anyhow, sure is a slick technology, particularly for back in the day...wish I had one.

Gloves:
I'm so fanatical about my guns that I keep 2-3 pairs of those cheap brown cotton jersey gloves handy around the gun safe, gun rack, work bench, etc...always slip them on when handling one of my guns other than for a cleaning.

As far as being slippery, mine only seem to be that way when brand new...once a trace of oil is on them it's not a problem (for me) and I learned to just do a light spray of WD40 on a new pair whenever I start them out

Don't get too uptight over that airgun. First off, if it's the one Doc Beeman (of Beeman airguns) says is the L&C gun, his support is pretty thin in most spots. We've debated it heavily in the airgun community. Old gun, for sure, but a contemporary is about the most you can positively state about it. And the video of the repro says these are like a .45ACP when, at best, maybe a .44 cap and ball. Not wanting to burst any bubbles but just setting that part straight.

RedFeather said:
Don't get too uptight over that airgun. First off, if it's the one Doc Beeman (of Beeman airguns) says is the L&C gun, his support is pretty thin in most spots. We've debated it heavily in the airgun community. Old gun, for sure, but a contemporary is about the most you can positively state about it. And the video of the repro says these are like a .45ACP when, at best, maybe a .44 cap and ball. Not wanting to burst any bubbles but just setting that part straight.
Well, your post creates an interesting situation here which begs clarification so I ask this as nothing personal and with all due respect:

Your post sounds like you're asking us to believe your unsolicited comment on a public forum...and completely discount an official video and position statements from the head of the National Firearms Museum in our country ???

Do you have any provenance to support your claim and discount the position of the NFM ??

Have you taken this up with the NFM ??

White cotton gloves are required to handle ANY artifact. Finger prints and oil from skin can degrade any artifact, be it paper, pottery, stone, wood or metal. Any professional museum curator does this as second nature. Yes it is true some museum workers don't feel the need since their finger prints won't do any damage (their hearts is pure!) I had a difficult time enforcing this where I worked since the wiz-kids fresh from the University thought the rule was "bogus."

Seems to me that a discussion of the merits and demerits of an air rifle would sidetrack the topic of the original question, that being, the need to wear cotton gloves when handling original arms and artifacts.

And it may be pertinent BECAUSE I too recollect it being a replica... Not that I'd pick it up carelessly either -- it's supposed to last for posterity for the collection and everyone's enjoyment.

I'm sure none of the original airguns from The Corp itself are extant.

Latest posts

Back