• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cougar

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capt jack

32 Cal.
Reaction score
A friend of mine just picked up a T/C Cougar in excellent condition . Trouble is , the barrel has been replaced . The barrel that is in it is marked "Toledo Arms"-- 12 ga.

Evidently , the stock has not been modified , and he would like to put a rifled T/C barrel back in it to make it original .I know the cougars were 50 cal. , but does any one know what twist the Cougars came with?

Anyone know anything about "Toledo Arms 12 ga."??

Anyone know where to pick up a good T/C barrel??

Thanks---Jerry

Special runs of TC Cougars were made with their standard 15/16" x 28" x 1:48" twist...some were .45cal, some were .50cal.

You can get TC barrels from TC's Fox Ridge store on the plant grounds...800-243-4570, menu #3.

Pretty sure they no longer have any standard barrels with the word 'Cougar' stamped into it but that was the only difference in the barrels anyway.

If it was me, and I was going to buy a new TC barrel through Fox Ridge anyway, I'd suggest just getting their TC round ball barrel...15/16" x 32" x 1:66" twist...extremely accurate barrels.

And a .50cal round ball will get most anything done that most people would be hunting...lets you afford to shoot year round too...

You could probably get a Cougar barrel on eBay. A 15/16ths .54 caliber Green Mountain roundball barrel sure would be sweet, and light too.

Or you could convert it to flint. I have one, installed a stainless steel Firestorm lock and a GM 50 cal flint IBS barrel, looks great and shoots very good. Just wish GM made an IBS in 15/16" rifled 54 cal flint.They do make 54 percussion!

Gill said:
Or you could convert it to flint. I have one, installed a stainless steel Firestorm lock and a GM 50 cal flint IBS barrel, looks great and shoots very good.
Did the same thing several years ago with one of my Cougars except I put a .45cal TC round ball Flint barrel on mine.
Just wish GM made an IBS in 15/16" rifled 54 cal flint.They do make 54 percussion!
Just call them and have them install a Flint breech plug on one instead of a caplock plug.

Had them do that to make a 1" x 33" x 1:70" .58cal Flint barrel and a 15/16" x 33" x 1:48" .40cal Flint RB barrel.

They also made a 15/16" x .54cal Flint smoothbore drop-in barrel which is outstanding.

None of the GM barrels I have hold a candle to the fit and finish of a TC barrel, and there have been a few manufacturing quirks that often have to be overcome before they will just 'drop-in', but performance wise they have all been excellent.

I have a good used T/C .50 Hawkin flinter barrel with breach plug, sights, rib and thimbles, shot less than 50 times. May also have the flintlock to go with it. PM if you are interested.

doc holiday said:
Evidently , the stock has not been modified , and he would like to put a rifled T/C barrel back in it to make it original.

I wouldn't worry about making it "original". There probably have been hudreds of thousands of TC rifles made, so they have no collector value.

If your friend wants a rifled shooter, a good rifled replacement barrel would work well.

Roundball and JD got it covered. I have a TC Cougar original and a very sweet muzzleloader. It does great with a patch and ball with 1:48 twist. If it were me, I'd go with TC/Fox Ridge.
Just my two cents.
Cat9

I've accumulated several Cougars over the years...one is still a brand new unfired .50cal...they all have gorgeous presentation grade wood on them

Cat---- wher u ben. Aint herd frum U fer a long time. U planin to go to Wise River early July to the rondy? :thumbsup:

doc holiday said:
Anyone know anything about "Toledo Arms 12 ga."??

Thanks---Jerry

The Toledo arms drop in 12 ga barrels were imported by Navy Arms (they have no info on them) as drop in replacements for TCs. I obtained one that is chrome bored with an extra full choke (0.0690), came with proof certificate. I'm still sorting out the best load for it but looks like it will be good on Turkeys.

To John Taylor---Friend said he was interested in the barrel and lock if you have them . Sent you an E-Mail earlier . Let me know . Jerry

Back