• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Couldn't resist - flintlock jake for the fryer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Baron

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I hunted a brand new spot for the first time a few days ago. At about 6pm a male bird came out way at the far end of the field and headed up along a block of woods to roost. Even with binoculars he was too far away for me to tell if it was a tom or a jake, but he had a red head and was a good size so it was game on. I went back this afternoon and setup by the woods where I had seen him. Right on cue at about 5:45pm I thought I heard a distant gobble. 5 minutes later I did some soft yelps and thought I heard a reply, but still not sure (they say hearing is the first thing to go). A few more minutes, then he gobbled on his own and I knew that was what I was hearing. He responded to my soft calling and then I saw him about 300 yards away, looking over a rise in the field. He gobbled again to my call and went into strut so I set the call down, cocked the flintlock and waited him out. He put on quite a show, with a few more gobbles, plenty of strutting and lots of spit'n 'n' drummin'. :thumbsup: His fan was very close to full, but the outer couple feathers were just a touch shorter and as he got closer I could tell it was a jake. Once he was at the 12 yard mark and only a couple steps from the Debbie (my Hardcore hen) I decided this had all the ingredients of a perfect turkey hunt and I really didn't need anymore beards 'n' spurs in the freezer to measure my success. I whistled to get him out of strut and the smokepole cracked once more to signal the end of my Ontario season. This joker acted like a tom and once I put him on the scale I confirmed he was no tiny jake - 17 pounds on the button.

My season has been great already with 2 for the flintlock. I've got 3 friends looking to fill their first turkey tag this year, so hopefully I can help. And I might even slip into NY and put another tag in my own pocket.

My little setup. The first afternoon, I was on the corner of the woods about 700 yards away straight ahead.
10-4-3001.jpg

He really fell for Debbie - and never even twitched until I picked him up by the feet. :wink:
10-4-3002.jpg

Fryer and the Caywood.
10-4-3003.jpg

Congratulations again...you've had a good season.
:thumbsup:

I passed on two Jakes at 25 yards last week trying to strike up a conversation with my Jake decoy, knowing I still had 3-4 more hunting days left...but a couple of those days have come and gone so I just have tomorrow morning and next Saturday left.

But I'm getting burned out, its getting almost unpleasant hot down here now, the snakes and bugs really wanting the woods back to themselves, so if I don't pull any in tomorrow morning I may just bag it for the year.

Was fortunate to got a good Tom opening day so the season has been satisfying...ready to get back to shooting Flintlocks on Saturdays :grin:

You did a great job on that fellow. Down here we haven't even had the opportunity to go out this season.

Back