• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Couple New Measures

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here are a couple new measures for your viewing pleasure.

The first is made of cherry and elk antler, it throws 70gr of powder or a 1oz load of shot.

The second is ebony and elk antler, the elk on this measure has a large amount of pith. Was able to seal it and it cut and finished well.

This second measure throws 100gr of powder or 1 3/8oz of shot.

These are all my original designs.

Enjoy

IMG_2834.jpg

IMG_2835.jpg

IMG_2836.jpg

IMG_2830.jpg

IMG_2831.jpg

IMG_2829.jpg

that ebony one is really nice to my eye! well, both are nice, but that Ebony one jumped out at me when I seen 'er :hatsoff:

Good looking measures for sure. Turning those that thin can be a tough job.You said you had found a simple solution for sealing the pith over on the other thread but you didn't explain.
Inquiring minds want to know????

Ron

OH yeah, great measures but you got to share on the "pith sealing" thing. Been there, done that so how are you doing that! :hmm:

Thanks for the kind words.

Ok, the pith

Anybody that has tried to work with antler knows that there is only so much useable material before the pith takes over, some is not that bad, some larger pith will end a project. Such was the case of the measure above.

For these kinds of turnings there are only small amounts of antler that can be used, its surprising how much is lost just trying to tru things up.

So on to the slick part.

As was mentioned my measures are thin, the ones pictured above are 5/8" i.d. with a wall thickness of 1/8" or less.

Once trued up I applied super glue liberally to the pith area, within 30 minutes I was able to turn it down to the 1/8" thickness and start the design stage.

Once the design was completed I again applied super glue and proceeded to sand the measure and complete the project.

Super glue works well for several reasons, dries hard, clear, and FAST, the fast part eliminates serious downtime.

I just used hardware store grade super glue on this, will be going to the hobby store to get hobby grade, as it can be purchased in various thickness'

This would be ideal as the thinner stuff would penetrate deeper into the material for cutting, and the thicker stuff would work well as a filler when finishing.

I do know that this process has opened up the ability to use up much more of my antler material than I originally thought.

As always experimentation is key and YMMV

One other thought, and this is important.

After 20 years I developed nasal polyps from crawling in attics and under houses, they suck. Never paid any attention to weather or not anybody ever warned me.

Mine are fairly serious as I do not breath well through my nose, always sound as though I am coming down with a cold or something, been over 7 years now.

Today I take no chances at all, weather I am at work or in the shop, if your kicking up dust you should invest the $30 or so for a decent respirator.

respirator.jpg

So,

either they is all amazed at the ingenuity of my using the super glue
:bow:

or I have just secured my position as a blasphemous bum for using something so unpure.
:slap:

No input :idunno:

:stir:

I GOT THE TAR!!! WHO HAS THE FEATHERS? TIE HIM TO A RAIL N RIDE HIM FROM OUR MIDST, HOW DARE HE!!! :rotf: :rotf: happy now :blah: kool idea n will be trying that on several different projects to see how it will work

Apprentice I personally use wood glue...I think I mentioned that before, which essentially equals out the real difference is time, I'm not in any hurry!

Maybe a small discrepancy in my presentation of this process, I am using wood glue to secure the dissimilar materials to one another.

The CA glue is used to seal the pith of the antler only, and thats only if the pith is very open.

Couple blanks I made up last night, they are ready to chuck up int the lathe and true them.

One is 5/8" and the other is 1/2" bore.

IMG_2837.jpg

IMG_2838.jpg

IMG_2839.jpg

Back