• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Couple smoothie patterns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Baron

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, I'm back from my second trip to NY this turkey season. We had an exciting hunt Saturday morning with a very vocal tom, but he was no dummy and wouldn't come any closer than 40-ish yards. So... once again... I'm home from NY empty handed (that story is really getting old :idunno: ).

I'm all tagged out at here in Ontario, so my turkey season is officially over and the 20ga. Caywood needed to be unloaded. I haven't patterned since doing my turkey load development about 10 years ago, so I took the opportunity to shoot a couple of patterns. I used 24" square pieces of cardboard with a turkey head/neck drawn on. Load is 80gr. Goex 3F, 4 o/s cards, 1 1/8oz (by volume) of #6 lead and 1 o/s card. I've set my maximum range at 20 yards, to allow for some error in range estimation and the pattern target confirms I'm certainly fine out to there. I've taken most of my flintlock toms at 10-12 yards and it's been lights out for all, but I shot a pattern at 10 yards just to confirm my point of aim is good. I'm pleased with the results. Everyone loves pictures, so I thought I'd share.

At the sugar shack, contemplating yet another defeat. LOL
2016-05-29%20-%20NY_zps7wozv5si.jpg

Here's at 10 yards:
flintlock%20-%2010%20yards_zpsi4mbrdse.jpg

And at 20 yards:
flintlock%20-%2020%20yards_zpsc449cale.jpg

Good looking Caywood :thumbsup: I have one of the english game guns an Danny jug choked it full for me. I shoot #4s in mine. Better luck to ya next yr in NY :hatsoff:

Patocazador said:
Well, you're a better shot than you are an artist. Your turkey reminds me of a smiling worm. :haha:

Truer words were never spoken. I thought the smile/frown was a nice touch. :grin:

Yes. I found anything heavier than over shot cards between powder and shot resulted in the classic "doughnut hole" patterns.

Back