• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cover Scent Soap

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hunting season is near and I need a recommendation for a good cover soap, something to mask my manly scent. I'm on the west coast and looking, but have not found anything that will do.

Wash clothes in hot water (you can add baking soda) and then get them all smoky from a campfire. Works great for me. I never worry about the scent thing, just watch the wind.
Black Hand

Another question would be, what would make a good cover scent for a soap?

I think location would dictate, pine scent perhaps, wild sage scent, doe-in-heat...

Hunting season is near and I need a recommendation for a good cover soap, something to mask my manly scent. I'm on the west coast and looking, but have not found anything that will do.

Never used any...used Irish Spring soap in the shower for 25-30 years.

Hunting the wind is everything...no amount of "cover soap" is going to eliminate human odor from reaching a deer downwind...they'll smell your human odor from all the breath you're constantly exhaling, from your hair, your hat, the sweat in your boots, the sweat in your belt, etc.

IMO, I think cover scents are a money making scheme and the business owners are laughing all the way to the bank.

Mind the wind and sit still...you'll see all the deer you want.
:imo: :m2c: :front:

There are scent removing soaps that you can use to launder your hunting clothes as well as scent blocking clothes.

I've never messed with them for rifle hunting, but I would if bow hunting. As mentioned, try to keep track of what the wind is doing in relation to your shooting areas, zones or lanes as also related to how the deer move in the mornings when getting ready to bed down and in the late afternoons when they are moving out to feed.

Sometimes what looks like the best hunting spot is also the best spot to carry your scent to where the deer will typically move. Sometimes I will hunt one position in the AM and then move to another in the afternoon to take advantage of the wind relative to deer movements.

You want to be down wind from the deer. If they wind you, they are gone. If you can hunt from a tree stand, sometimes that will allow your scent to be carried high above where the deer are and give you an advantage.

:m2c:

when i'm out hunting i scrape all the leaves and twigs down to the dirt in a circle around the tree i'm at....this way i can sneak around the tree nice and quiet and to keep it between me and the deer....it also has a strong smell like earth dirt from upsetting all the dirt and leaf debre and all i can smell is dirt....i've had a deer trot right by me last year on the other side of the tree to where i could have grabbed the tree and swung out with my foot and kicked it in the chops....it never knew i was there and i had to lol to myself....so all i use is the dirt around me.............bob

Never used a cover scent soap per say, but have tried those green odor elimination soaps. Never noticed any major diference. My main success comes from playing the wind all the time. The few products I have tried that seemed to work to a degree were: 1)racoon urine. Have an abundance of racoon here in NE NC. Spray a bit on the bottom of my boots, and have had deer walk right down the same path or ditch I walked in on never spooked or the least bit alerted to human presence. 2) Spray on scent blocker. If its a very hot day and I work up a sweat going in, I like to spray a bit to mask the BO. Sometimes use neutral scent, sometimes fresh earth scent. As a side note, sometimes I chew a few pine needles to mask my breath. Seems to help keep the mosquitos from finding me so much. Ticks are another story....

IMO, I think cover scents are a money making scheme and the business owners are laughing all the way to the bank.

I agree..when I think of the cover scents and scent elemenators..It makes me wonder what there was before there was nothing.

what would you use if you had a big plate of beans for supper the night before? :huh:

I agree..when I think of the cover scents and scent elemenators..It makes me wonder what there was before there was nothing.

On top of not having cover scents or scent eliminators, they did not bath near as often as most of us do.

I have used those expensive scentelimination clothing all brands, used all the chemical manure out there, and now i just wash all my clothing the night before in bakingsoda(arm andhammer) and brush my teeth with it and bath also in it I wear lether boots too only product I buy is from teamfitzgearld outdoors is deer dander spary and a small bottle of vanilla (same stuff your wife uses for cookies), spary on the deer dander on your feet and use glove climbing you tree stand and get high, above 20 feet and leave the open bottle of vanilla about 5'above the ground, I have killed more deer this way and finally killed a monster buck last year, and he was killed directly under the stand. :results: it works I was told about vanilla ,by an old deer hunter and told that old timer he was out of his mind untill I too tried it.and will continue to do so. bb75

It makes me wonder what there was before there was nothing.
Actually I meant that materially (in regards to the physical world) as a joke..cause every time I hear about the scent eliminators..etc. it kinda makes me wonder what nothing smells like.
In my mind I see deer smelling a person with a charcoal suit on or a person with scent eliminator spray on.
Don't make any difference to me anyway cause I'm covered with 100% sweat by the time I get where I'm going..no matter how cold or hot it is and the wind blows in all directions..I just hope one will get to me before it changes.

All I use is the green body wash, not necessarily as a "cover scent"...I don't believe it traps or vanishes my scent...but because I think it does have less odor than conventional scented soap. If possible, I take a shower immediately before every hunt. I think just being clean has more bearing than what the soap smells like, even if I use no soap at all. I like natural scent, such as pine or sage, as well. Garlic is another good one.

All I use is the green body wash, not necessarily as a "cover scent"...I don't believe it traps or vanishes my scent...but because I think it does have less odor than conventional scented soap. If possible, I take a shower immediately before every hunt. I think just being clean has more bearing than what the soap smells like, even if I use no soap at all...

Yep! I second that! UNscented soap - UNscented deodorant - and always shower before a hunt - even if it means getting up EARLIER! I wash my clothes in UNscented detergent and keep them in a sealed container. Every year I have deer come within a few yards of me - sometimes I also set out a couple of attractor scent cannisters around my stand - but never need a "cover" scent.

i read that before going on a hunt,indians would not eat meat for abt 2 weeks to get their system cleaned out,,,,eating meat must give a person a differant smell than eating plants,,, :results:

what would you use if you had a big plate of beans for supper the night before? :huh:
Bean-o or Beano. You add a drop or two to the beans while you're cooking them.

Before the hunt i shower with uncented shampo and use uncented deoderant.That will ilimanate 2 unatural oders anyways.Gotta shower after work anyways ::
Deer use their nose,their best defense besides ther ears we all know so they are usally gonna move head on into the wind or with a cross wind.I try to be in the spot they wont sniff me.A good thing that has helped me is to remember that in the evenings the air cools down and traveles down hill,in the morning as it warms it travels up hill,air thermols.I have had limited success with this cover cents in the past,
campfire smoke
earth cent wafers
cover up-vanila cented stuff
racoon pea
Im a smoker :eek:at least 25% of the deer i have shot over the years i was puffewn on a smoke.Maybe i would have seen more if i didnt smoke,dont know but when i was 13 years old i was puffen on a smoke and a 165.5 inch buck walked right down the gun barrel of my 870 20 gauge with the smoke blowen right at him.He picked it up at about 30 yards.He stoped and sniffed the air and wiggled his ears around.Then he kept coming right at me.at 15 yards or so i let him have it.He was being pushed out of the 40 acre timber by drivers but he could have taken anuther route once he hit my smoke but he didnt,must have covered my scent enough that he thought he would be ok,he was wrong ::

Im a smoker at least 25% of the deer i have shot over the years i was puffewn on a smoke.Maybe i would have seen more if i didnt smoke

Probably would have seen more if you smoked[url] more..In[/url] my opinion smoke is the best cover scent there is. All natural too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, I agree 100%. My old huntin buddy is long dead now but he always..well...ok..say 70% of the time always got his deer and he told me that deer like tobacco. I guess if it is the smoke or the tobacco itself doesn't matter. This was back when I lived in WI and then the bag limit per year was one deer. I dunno..never lived in a place where one could get more.

Yup, I agree 100%. My old huntin buddy is long dead now but he always..well...ok..say 70% of the time always got his deer and he told me that deer like tobacco.

My father-in-law has killed around 40 deer with a bow, and untold numbers with rifle. He smoked 3 1/2 packs a day for years. Saw him cut a hole in his camo face mask so he could smoke with it on. He told me he's seen deer nibble on cigarette butts under his stand :what: After a heart catherization earlier this year, he quit smoking cold turkey.

Latest posts

Back