• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

cow hide

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do i go about removing the hair off a processed hide?? I'm in serious need of some "old timer" advice. Someone please help!!

I did taxidermy/tanning for over 25 years, also brain tanned about 50 deer. Don't know if that makes me an "old timer" or not...

But I doubt if you can remove the hair with the lye/lime/wood ashes on an already "tanned/processed" hide. The lye process is for raw hides. Maybe, haven't tried that.

The tanning process has already "set" the epidermis/hair. If the ashes do work, it will probably eat the actual leather at the same rate as the hair.

You must neutralize/reacidify/bate after the lye process in any case.

Best bet, If you are sure you want to do this, is to put it in a frame ala dry scrape braintan, make a "wahintika"(scraper), and physically remove the hair by scraping. :m2c:

Regards,
Terry

you could try a lot of shaving cream and a razor or twenty :p :bull: :bull: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:
terrys right it's very hard to remove the hair once it's set,stretching the hide in a frame and scraping the hair off is your best bet

Back