• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cow Horn or Buffalo Horn?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YoungGunner

36 Cal.
Reaction score
In my "adventures" of making more and more things for myself and realizing that a powder Horn is more realistic, of those of you that make powder horns which do you prefer as a workable object. Track of the Wolf sells both and I was thinking a Plain black buffalo horn would go well with my grey colored shooting pouch. Most of Horners Horns are cow horns but they also are quite excellent horns, and chances are that my first horn will not be of such high quality.
So again any help would be appreciated and possibly what size the horns you use are...

Theres a Cow horn kit thats not much you can get and put together just to get your feet wet. Then you can decide whether you want to continue with making one from scratch. I didn't make my horns but they are about 8,9" long with a curve that fits my right side where they would rest. So make sure you have the right curve to fit you. But theres a few very good Horners that will give you advice here better than I ever could soon as they see your post. :thumbsup:

Here are a couple for you to compare that I made last month both were for a friend. The buffalo horn was done for a display so the scrimshaw is much heavier than I would normally do. The buffalohorn is about 10" and the cow horn is 13"
They are not of the quality that Horner does, but then very few are and if you take your time and plan the horn well yours could be even better.
My everyday carrying horn is very plain and it will always be my favorite.If you are portraying a fur trade era mountain man then a buffalo horn would be very appropriate.

As far as being workable they are about the same. Swampy's idea of using a kit for your first one is a great idea. It will save you from all the sanding and /or scraping that will have to be done on a raw horn. And if you are married, don,t get the horn hot in the house. Trust me on that.

Terrieshorn007.jpg

buffalohorn008-1.jpg

Just like you can tell a New hunter by the length of his belt knife, you can tell a new MLer by the length( size and weight) of his powder horn! :grin: :shocked2: BTDT.

The older I get, and the more times I take to the woods with my gear, the less I carry, and the smaller the horn that goes with me. Oh, I still have the older, BIG horns, but I keep them for the club shoots, where we may have to survive an endurance contest!

For horns going to the field, you only need it big enough to carry the amount of powder you are likely to shoot. Game laws and bag limits pretty much limit the amount of shooting you CAN LEGALLY do. Pressing schedules that keep the bills paid limit how long you can be in the field.

My next horn will be a small, FLAT horn, that I can carry in a large pocket, and will hold, at most about 500 grains of powder. Even that is too much for most hunts. We are talking a horn that is usually no longer than 5", small in diameter( 1.5")before flattening, and less than half full.

May I suggest that you do a little math :shocked2: , and then use a cleaned out salt shaker, to get an idea how much powder you can put in such a small container. If you are shooting a Brown Bess, or some other large gauge, or caliber gun, with powder charges of 70 grains and more, then check out larger containers than a salt shaker.

An ounce of powder weighs 437.5 grains. Even at 70 grains per shot, you are getting 6 shots to the ounce. If you are hunting deer, do you really think you are going to get even 6 shots? Do you really need to carry 1/2 lb. or a pound or more of powder in a huge horn??

No one has to agree with my habits, or way of thinking about this, but "packing light" seems to me to just make more sense. The real work begins when you kill your deer, and now have to get it out of the woods.

There are some states where the daily bag limit on squirrels is large- allowing a lot of shooting. But most MLers will use a .32, .36, or .40 caliber rifle, shooting PRBs, to kill squirrels. Powder charges are less than 50 grains- 20 for the .32, 30 for the .36, and 40 for the .40. Some use much less powder to keep from destroying meat. Even with a bag limit of 15 squirrels, how many shots are you going to fire in one day's hunt? If you missed one squirrel for every one taken, that would amount to 30 shots. ( That's pretty poor shooting, and you probably will see the sunset long before you fire 30 shots, BTW. Squirrels don't exactly sit around with bullseyes on their chests, saying, " Shoot me!" after that first shot is fired! :shocked2: :rotf: :idunno: )

I would rather carry two small horns in my pockets( to have enough powder for that kind of poor shooting), than one large horn hung from a strap around my neck, all day long. BTDT. Carrying a small horn in a pocket also gives it better protection in case of rain, compared to carrying a large horn on your hip.

I use a Poncho when hunting, to keep the rain off my gun and gear. But, your hands get wet, and if you don't take a towel along to dry them, that moisture gets transferred to everything you touch. I found I am constantly adjusting my horn's position on my hip as I walk through the woods, so it gets almost as wet from handling as it would if I didn't keep it under the poncho.

I completely agree with everything you said Paul.
My everyday horn is about 7' and a slim profile it has always been more than enough.

Hey YoungGunner,

You're asking the right questions, and Hawkthrower posted great examples and advice on building. And Swampy is right on the money about an inexpensive kit for getting your feet wet.

I can add that the only significant differences I've run into between cow and buffalo are weight and shape. Most of the pre-polished cow horns I see are a lot thinner and lighter than buffalo. Buff can be thinned to make it lighter, but if you don't it adds up to a little more tug on your shoulder.

Then it's a question of what general shape you like. The gentle curve of most cow horns rides a little better at my side for my taste, but it's so subtle I have to stop and think about it to notice it. Truly NBD.

And size? I've seen them big enough a guy better buy Goex stock, and small enough people tend to call them "priming" horns. I like them smaller, but they can start to look kinda weird hanging on a bag if they get too small. Overall length about the same as the width of your bag is most eye appealing for me, but you can go lots smaller and still have plenty of powder for hunts.

Have you picked up Scott and Cathy Sibley's book yet? It's a great one for building techniques and style ideas. Not much on buffalo, but the techniques are the same even if you don't get to see any examples.

I agree, Scott & Cathy Sibley's book is a great resource for anyone wanting to make their own, they don't get into Buff horns or flat horns either, but still a great learning tool, especially for your first time out.
And there are many many places you can get kits or even just pre-polished horns if you have the other materials available to you.
Just remember, no one made their first horn and had it come out looking Like it was expertly done. just keep practicing and trying different things and you'll get the hang of it!
Oh and Hawkthrower is absolutely right- if your married or living with someone, you really don't want to get that horn too hot 'twould be bad.

can't remember if i got the Silbey book for myself or if the kids got it for my birthday or somesuch, but it was a major lightbulb moment.

what Paul said about the size of the horn is true.

also, remember that horn is highly compressed hair, so you don't want to use any power tools or do anything that will get it hot unless you're outdoors and your house is downwind.

don't ask me how i know :redface:

Latest posts

Back