• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cow’s knee

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So last night i was down in the basement messing around and decided to make a lock cover. I made one a couple years ago(no picture) but this one is different then the other.
71CF8643-4FD0-4D01-A331-311F68907EDB.jpeg

My neighbor is a very talented artist and one of his skills is leather work. I told him of a stupid , on my part , encounter with a small herd of deer in our Pa.m/l deer season in January. The snow was soft and silent, I got near where there was usually a group of deer in a laurel patch. Took my cows knee off my lock ,checked my prime , and stupidly blew the snow off my rear sight. The noise made by blowing away the snow alerted a doe 'bout 10 yds ahead in the brush. All the deer with the close doe blasted away in a blink and left me standing there with a stupid look on my face. My Navajo leather worker neighbor , came to me couple evenings later with a new cows knee with a long enough front extension on it to cover my rear sight in snowy weather. Genius......I wouldn't have thought of that.......oldwood

Pietro........Not too fond of getting too close to deer capable of using those nasty hoofs on me. One day took a desperation shot w/a .62 Jager rifle at a doe 'bout 140 yards distance , standing broadside. The ball dug into the top of the spine so it would only jump up and down until it got tired , lay down , then repeat. Dunce boy ,that would be me , lost his extra bullets in deep snow. My son only brought one bullet in his .50 and missed the deer trying for a quick dispatch. We assessed our options , all we had left was a drag rope , and a gutting knife. Ok.......The 10 " snow allowed for me to get a rope underneath the deer's neck making sure not to touch the deer 'cause it would go berserk, and told my son to get the other end of the rope around a sapling nearby. I dispatched the deer w/ a quick neck laceration and when the rodeo began the deer kicked me twice , so quickly there was no time to react , once in the chest and once on my hand. Lesson learned....never stand on the business side of a live deer . We got meat and a great story............oldwood

Yes it is...
I hand rubbed bees wax on both sides of the leather by flipping it inside out, then melting it in with a heat gun.
After the final flip, the stitched area got soaked good with melted bees wax.

Last edited:
do they just fall onto the ground after releasing them? mine hangs from a leather thong at the front when it is slid off to the side when making a shot. no need to look for it and you can keep your eye on the game.

Mine is made of a flexible leather and is so full of whatever leather dressing I happened to grab at the moment over 25 years use , the thing just forms to the lock area and is attached to the trigger guard by a leather boot lace thong. If pulled off to check the lock ,or fire a shot , just falls away , hangs there..........oldwood

Yes they fall too the ground unless you slip them in your pocket or lay them too the side..
The weighted one can be removed just by pinching it along the top and simply lift it off..
Nothing to untie or unbutton.

Back