• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Coyote today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnM

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I was sitting on a log overlooling a saddle where trails come in from all directions. I heard what I thoght was a squirell coming in from my right side. All of a sudden a big coytoe was right in front of me walking fast (like 10 feet in front of me!) I cocked my 45 cal TC Hawken and the big dog broke into a trot, keeping trees between me and him..and he was gone. Darn! I uncocked and was sitting there amused at myself for not getting a shot off. I did not want to ruin my morning hunt by taking a shot I was unsure of though! And then all of a sudden there was another yote in front of me, about half the size of the first one. I cocked and she broke into a trot and headed away at a right angle. She paused for a second to take a look back at me...big mistake!
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd88/johnmontavon/hunting/coyote.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Swamp Rat said:
Niice! It's a good day when a coyote dies. :thumbsup:

It would be a lot nicer if it was a wolf. Good job though. :thumbsup:
Idaho PRB

I was deer hunting. The coyotes were a major distraction for the day however.

Congrats and Waidmanns Heil! :thumbsup:

Looks similar to a redfox, only bigger! :confused:

Kirrmeister

Cool distraction! TN has the best coyote hunting I have done. Keep up the good work!

I heard blue tongue hit the deer population hard is tht true?

Good shootin' I always end seeing coyotes on the roads at night when NOT hunting. Days that I'm sitting and the deer action is slow I'm hoping for one to pass by. Two more weeks of BP to go!

You should have seen the first one that came through. It was twice as big as the one I shot, long and lanky...looked a lot like a timber wolf. Wish I could have shot that one!

The one I did shoot (pictured) does have more reddish fur but is about twice as big as the red or grey foxes we have around here. Hey that was a nice job you did on two red foxes the other day!

Deer, turkey and squirell have been hard pressed in my area. We had a bad drought in summer 2007, the deer were hit by some sort of bacterial hemmoragic disease which the dry watering holes compunded the problem by placing more of them at water that was available. Before the drought in the spring of 2007, we had a hard freeze that lasted several days that occured after everything was all leafed out. We had vitually no mast crop that fall and squirells virtually disappeared from my woods. Coyotes and bobcats were really thick then too.

But things are getting better. There are more nuts and acorns in the woods now than the wildlife can possibly eat! I have been seeing squirells again too. I will be coyote hunting after I get one more deer for the freezer.

toetown said:
But things are getting better. There are more nuts and acorns in the woods now than the wildlife can possibly eat! I have been seeing squirells again too. I will be coyote hunting after I get one more deer for the freezer.

You guys are short squirrels around there. I went hunting them once (with .22) and we worked like dogs for two!

Around here you can hunt them with a handful of walnuts and a bat and kill two with most swings!

Back