• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need help tuning lock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SammyP

32 Cal
Reaction score
So I have a dillema, my lock seems to be dulling flints really quickly. This is my first flintlock. It is an Indian made (Access Heritage) NW trade gun. So far the gun is a tack driver, that is when it goes off. The frizzen throws good sparks when it does and the flints are freshly sharpened. When I first got it, I could get it to go off once or twice before having to sharpen it. I did some reading and angled the flint downward but still was having the issues. Got a scale and the hammer pulled back at 18lbs and the middle of the frizzen at 11lbs. I polished and sanded down the cam on the frizzen just barely and at the middle of the frizzen it is now flipping at 7lbs. The gun now goes off about 7 to 8 times before having to resharpen it (flints are from ToW). All of that is to ask, should I keep polishing the cam? Should I mess with the frizzen spring? I am adding pictures so yall can see the lock geometry. Any help is appreciated!
20240928_192625.jpg
20240928_192805.jpg

Your geometry doesn't look too bad, but judging from the gouges on the frizzen it looks like it may be a little soft. If you try to file the face does it skate off or scratch the face?

Back