• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cracked Stock Repair

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NMRog

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a hawken rifle that has a crack that starts in the lock area on both sides and extends all the way back through the wrist. Is there a way to repair this or do I need to replace the stock?

Is this Hawken rifle built by Thompson Center?
If it is, do not try to fix it. Send the stock back to them for repair or replacement.
Their guns have a lifetime guarantee if you just explain that the cracks have developed over the years.

Yes it is, but I built this rifle from a kit in 1983, browning the metal. In 1990 I refinished the stock with a different stain and added several inlays. I would prefer to repair the original stock if I can since I have so much time invested in it (not to mention sentimental value), I think a repair would add additional character to the rifle. The stock was fine when I cleaned it and put it in the safe after the last time I shot it (seven years ago). When I made the decision to go back to ML, I was horrified when I pulled it out of the safe and saw the crack. If anyone has any suggestions for a repair I would appreciate it.

I'd still fire off an email to T/C before you try and repair it. You might be surprised. :grin:

Hard to say without examining it but that portion of the stock is what absorbs the recoil and you sure want it strong, it would be nasty to have the barrel and tang recoil into your face. You may be able to drill through vertically and set in a couple of 5/16" dowels with epoxy glue, but hard to say without seeing it. If your tang is held only by wood screws it would help a lot to drill on through and use 10x32 tang bolts threaded into the trigger plate as original Hawkens were done. I understand your desire to preserve the original stock and I suspect it can be done safely.

If you can not send it back look at a Brownells catalog and check out the hardened and thredded stock repair pins they have. I have used these and the sense (and reality) of security in terms of the stock not splitting and imbedding itself into ones head is good to have.

Thanks for the reply, and thank you also CoyoteJoe.

I will try and fix it and report the results, unless, of course, I end up up wearing it!

Thanks again.

Back